Are they trying to screw me or is this legit?

So, I recently bought a 2004 MSX150 with one main problem, the RPMs won't exceed 6000. I hear these things should turn 7500 RPM. At the limited RPM it will run 45mph. I took it to get see what the issue could be and they claim that it needs a new wear ring and impeller. Does this sound correct? They claimed the wear ring was swollen and the impeller was hitting it causing lack of speed and reduced RPM. Can anyone tell me what speed this jet ski will run at 6000 RPM? I know it can run 65 MPH but can I honestly get 20 more MPH out of the remaining 1500 RPMs? Do I call their bluff or have them proceed with the work. I know there are sensors on this thing that if they don't read properly, they can reduce RPM. Any help would be great. They are trying to charge me $700 for all this work.

THANKS!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    this sounds like you're getting the work done by one of the other shops in my town.

IF the ski has been in salt water at any time, it could be the ring, but the pump bearing fail pretty quickly under this condition and I'd expect you'd getting max rpm without the speed.

+1
    oh yeah, you could likely buy a used pump AND have it installed for half of their "asking" price.

here's how it would play at my shop with a rough we're talking on a streetcorner estimate:

Pump section with wear ring (used) $150 or so
    Refurb prop $90
    pump bearing kit $60
    Labor $125

ok..so a little more then half.

+1
    Pete's right... you can buy an entire good condition pump... for a lot less. They really aren't that hard to remove/install.

That said... do you have a check-engine indicator and red light flashing at all when you run it? If not... then you're not tripping an ECU recognized issue (overboost, overtemp, etc.)... and a jet pump issue could be a very real possibility.

The MSX150 will redline around 7300-7400 rpms... depending on air temp, water temp, altitude, etc. At redline... you should see an indicated mph around 63-66... depending on conditions, chop, weight, etc.

Another thing to consider... if the mechanic is claiming a swollen wear ring (very real possibility)... there's no way he can hide that. Just tell him you want to see it personally when he takes it out. Have him show you where the impeller is binding on the ring when he removes it. Can't fake this issue.

Good luck.

Cheers!

+1
    A bloated wear ring makes a LOT of noise too. Is there a lot of clanging coming from the pump when you run it on the trailer?

+1
    Couldn't you just pull the plugs and see how easy the the spins?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by happymeal View Post
    So, I recently bought a 2004 MSX150 with one main problem ... I took it to get see what the issue could be and they claim

... Do I call their bluff ...
    Well, if you are going to own a Polaris, you need to figure out how you are going to handle the ongoing service and maintenance.

Either you learn how to do it yourself, or you find a repair shop that you can actually trust to work on your Weber engined Polaris.

The Weber engine is complex. There are known issues and updates that can improve reliability, fuel economy and performance. Some engine stuff is labor intensive to get at and work on.

When these machines are running well, their owners tend to really like them. When they are not running well, it can take a lot of wrenching hours or it can be expensive to repair if done at a shop.

Since you seemingly bought this machine with a known problem, who is going to do the work is an important question.

Removing the jet pump is fairly straight forward. Once you have done it a couple of times, it takes just minutes to get it out. Inspecting the jet pump is also fairly simple.

My signature links include a lot of useful info. See the Jet Pump section and the Weber engine section.

+1
    $ 700.00 way too much money you can check with other Greenhulk members for parts or go to Ebay.

Thanks for all the help. The wear ring is definitely swollen and impeller was hitting and wearing. The previous owner apparently had this in salt water and didn't know how to properly maintain it. So, what is a good aftermarket impeller? Wear ring?

Thanks

+1
    you'll need a wear ring housing. Polaris wear rings not easily replaced as they are pressed in.

ebay is your best bet, as of late..there has been a good supply of complete pumps and parts available.

stock ring and prop will do for the moment... right?

Thread Information