Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 GTX 4-TEC Mod Questions

Hey Guys,

Brand new here (as in just finished registering). I've owned my GTX since new back in 2004. I'm the type of person that can't leave anything alone and has to modify everything. Somehow the GTX has managed to get ridden very little and hide in my parents garage over the winter and somehow stay stock. So I've done a good bit of reading over the past week and think I have the basics, but still wanted to ask a few questions to get direct answers.

My GTX is completely stock right now and has around 50 hours on it I believe.

Now I know the first thing most of you are gonna say is it will be easier and cheaper to sell it and upgrade to a RXP or RXT. The problem is, my parents live on a small lake that allows jetskis, but they limit them to 190hp. Although I don't ride it there all the time, I would still like to be able to ride it there if I wanted, so a RXP or RXT isn't really an option for me.

Here are the mods I want to do right now (As in order in the next few days).

Wear Ring (If Needed) - $40
    SC Clutch Washers – $88
    Riva Stage 1 Kit - $751
    Through Hull Exhaust – $270
    O.P.A.S Block Off – $100
    Riva Sponsons - $350

Please give all opinions and advice on if you think this is a good place to start or if you know where to get parts cheaper.

Here is the main question I have. Later on I would like to add something like the following:

External Intercooler???
    Upgrage Supercharger???
    Blowoff valve???
    Water Box???

I think the Riva Stage 1 kit comes with a 13/20R prop. Will that prop work well if I add these above parts later or will I need to upgrade to something like a 15/20R?

I don't know much about the parts above. How do you upgrade the SC. Can I just buy a impeller or wheel or do I have to buy a new SC? Does this come with the new washers or would I still have to buy them separate if I went ahead and changed the SC? What IC should I get and from where? Is the IC still a good upgrade if I don't upgrade the SC later? Is a blow off valve worth it or no since the boost is minimal? Is a water box worth the money?

Sorry for such a long post and soo many questions. Just very anxious on learning about all of this and getting some parts ordered.

Thanks in advance.

+1
    185 hp skis are bastards
    they have a different flywheel than all the other SC skis
    so its not just a sc swap
    any sc upgrade will require a injector upgrade
    IMO find a used stock 08-11 waterbox and it makes the ski easier to work on and it adds HP
    your SC will need more than washers it will need a complete rebuild kit
    and I believe the 185 does not have the bad washers

+1
    Only the 03 185 had no washers, 04 will need them done. Better to do a whole supercharger kit as Chris said. You will also need to buy the tools to do the charger or pay someone (greenhulk) to do it. Instead of getting a riva stage 1 why not piece your own kit together from proven stuff?

+1
    Fully rebuild the Supercharger. This ski uses cast pistons, that don't hold up as well when adding boost so keep you SC'er stock. Look into adding an intercooler and air intake (4" fizzle).

+1
    Cast pistons are fine, there are quite a few people on here that have run x chargers with the 215 flywheel, I'll soon be running an et127 in mine. 4 inch air and free mods like ride plate holes are worthwhile. Dunno whats in the riva kit but for nearly $800 seems expensive when a 4" is under $100 when you make it yourself.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I'll be putting an et 137 +4 with the 17 tooth gear in my 03 GTX 185 in the next week or so. It has been running a stock x charger w/ 17 tooth gear for 60 or so hours-- RXP ecu, 215 regulator, cross over hose, 42s, XS intercooler, prop and a few other small pieces-- no idea what the AFRs are, but it still lives.

While upgrading a 185 GTX, I would highly recommend the RXT drive shaft swap and running the 159 mm impellers.

8. +1 by:

+1
    What speeds were you seeing with the x charger and 17tooth?

+1
    stock pistons will work but
    any knock (detonation ) can and will cause more piston damage than a forged piston
    and if you run lean (hot) you can melt the pistons easier
    so IMO you need new pistons so why not run the old ones until they melt...lol
    and then upgrade the valves and flywheel

Derekd Welcome to the GH

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brendanm View Post
    What speeds were you seeing with the x charger and 17tooth?
    71.5 with the rest of the setup-- 14/19 solas, 82 nozzle ring, 8100 rpm, XS intercooler, rxp ecu, RXT drive shaft setup... My speed may be down relative to others. For instance, this ski out accelerated my friends 2012 RXPX 260 and top ended him by just over 3 mph-- we raced several times and I also rode his to see if I could make his machine run any faster

+1
    Nice speed with that setup, acceleration is more fun than outright speed anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information