XLT 1200 low top speed

I have a 2001 XLT 1200 I have Ben working on for a while. I rebuilt the motor,(new crank, all gaskets,pistons/rings). I have rebuilt the carbs,(to osidebill's specs, aftermarket F/A's and D plate, remove excel pump, jet to 110 and 120). The ski now only goes up to 40 Mph. I have checked the power valves from the top. No wave after clips yet, but the valves haven't dropped. When I was running the ski on land then shut it off I hear/see the power valve servo cycle the valves so they should be working.any ideas guys?

+1
    Did they cycle all the way open? The shafts should rotate about 90 degrees. You can disconnect the servo cables and while riding on the water, open them manually to see if you can get your speed back.

This will help determine if your power valves really are your problem.

+1
    With the carb work you have done did you go with the 1.5 needle and seat and did you install T handles. What are your carb settings. It sounds like you are lean to me and with those aftermarket F/A you could melt a piston if you don't get more fuel to it. And make sure you premix your fuel in the tank after a fresh rebuild.

I ran the ski again the other day. It's topping out at 42 mph at 5800 rpms. Out of the water it revs to 7,000. What do these motors redline at? Should I try to turn the high side adjustments on the carbs up a bit?

Also, i checked the power valves. they are in working order. after coming out of a sharp turn the motor surges for just a split second and seems like it wants to take off.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazer190 View Post
    Also, i checked the power valves. they are in working order. after coming out of a sharp turn the motor surges for just a split second and seems like it wants to take off.

check the power valve couplers to ensure that they are all actually opening/shaft is moving if you havent already...I had low top speed issues and a bog under heavy load cornering... It was the coupler between the center and pto cylinder, only the pto cylinder power valve was opening...ski was down about 8-10mph on top end

I checked the couplings, they appear fine. Should I remove the power valves and inspect them? Makes me a little nervous that I see a lot of similar post online about this problem but never any updates on how people fixed the problem.

+1
    if u end up needing a servo, let me know i got one for the xlt

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailblazer190 View Post
    No wave after clips yet, but the valves haven't dropped. When I was running the ski on land then shut it off I hear/see the power valve servo cycle the valves so they should be working.any ideas guys?
    You should buy waveeater clips before they drop.

When you say the power valves are in working order, what exactly did you look and check for? It sounds like you're either going lean or that the valves aren't opening. Check your plug color then look inside the valves and check for play or if they are stuck or if something is blocking them.

Did you properly break the engine in after the rebuild?

Oh yea and you probably shouldn't rev that high out of water.

Thread Information