Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Yamaha vx110 rusty plugs and rusty valves

For all those 1 eyed brand bashers that think a YAMAHA has no faults I got news for you!

Today i finished diagnosing a rough running issue on a customers ski ( 2012) from memory vx110 cruiser )
    Ski has only 31hrs on it, he had only recently purchased it with 0 hours.

Goes to ride it and finds it running very rough ...
    Brings it go me ..... I perform some basic tests and get to deliver the not so good news....
    Atleast 3 cylinders have rusty valves causing bad sealing ( compression range from 45 -75 on 3 cylinder and only 1 is over 125psi.leakdown well over 60%

While running the ski i can hear abnormal valve train noise..... yep big clearance due to none closing valves.

Once i did run it and gave it a few blips on the throttle the water box dumped a nice load of water with white corrosion particals in it.

So this proves again to me even the most reliable engine platform can and will suffer from A BAD exhaust design if that's what you want to call it........ cause it cant be the owners fault .....

So now he is up for a nice little bill

Hopefully i can just lap the valve and slip the head back on

Moral to the story is ALL BRANDS NEED GOOD POST RIDE CARE!!!!! Not just Kawis as some of the clowns think

Waz

+1
    hey waz this is nothing new to the yamahas kev had them in his shop daily with that very issue, like i said in another thread there workshops were always full with other branded skis.

This is kind of strange, especially on such a new ski. Did you ask him how many times he flipped the ski over or how many times the hull filled with water. The only time ive seen a rusty plugs was when water came into the engine. Ive also seen people neglect the hell out of these skis (xxx's of hours) and never have this issue. Not that its impossible by any means, I have never heard of valves randomly rusting up on such a new vx. Maybe you guys have some really salty air. Then again, most of the skis i use and have worked on, get ran regularly. None of this sitting on a trailer for a month and half...All things considered the lengthiest part of the repair is the actual machine work, IF you have all the gaskets on hand of course. At least you lucked out with the vx,Tearing apart its motor and putting it back together is a couple hour job if you factor in a beer break halfway through.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    So this proves again to me even the most reliable engine platform can and will suffer from A BAD exhaust design if that's what you want to call it........ cause it cant be the owners fault .....
    So You think this problem resulted from a bad exhaust design on the part of Yamaha?

I think we all can agree that every brand of ski can and does have problems. Prolly can all agree that most of these problems are caused by their operators.

There is one fact that gets in the way of the point You're trying to make here though... Kawi needs to use an exhaust filter and nobody else does. That should make it pretty obvious to everyone which manufacturer has the "BAD" exhaust design.

+1
    Well Vic in saying that you might start seeing the other brands using something similar to kawis exhaust filter in the near future. In my eyes it's a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    my point is more along the lines of

ALL BRAND have issues , and the better or easier the ski , the better the idiots come along and destroy them .

and to KWTONY in side hull is bone dry and not a sign of corrosion anywhere , its just a simple waterbox not being emptied by the owner

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy71 View Post
    Well Vic in saying that you might start seeing the other brands using something similar to kawis exhaust filter in the near future. In my eyes it's a small price to pay for piece of mind.
    My exhaust filter does the exact opposite of giving me peace of mind. I don't think we'll see other brands go along those lines... but I could be wrong.

+1
    my point is more along the lines of

ALL BRAND have issues , and the better or easier the ski , the better the idiots come along and destroy them .
    True for sure, but some designs make for easier destruction by the idiots... and the Kawi exhaust design qualifies in that category.

+1
    For all those 1 eyed brand bashers that think a YAMAHA has no faults I got news for you!

Today i finished diagnosing a rough running issue on a customers ski ( 2012) from memory vx110 cruiser )
    Ski has only 31hrs on it, he had only recently purchased it with 0 hours.

Goes to ride it and finds it running very rough ...
    Brings it go me ..... I perform some basic tests and get to deliver the not so good news....
    Atleast 3 cylinders have rusty valves causing bad sealing ( compression range from 45 -75 on 3 cylinder and only 1 is over 125psi.leakdown well over 60%

While running the ski i can hear abnormal valve train noise..... yep big clearance due to none closing valves.

Once i did run it and gave it a few blips on the throttle the water box dumped a nice load of water with white corrosion particals in it.

So now he is up for a nice little bill

Hopefully i can just lap the valve and slip the head back on

Moral to the story is ALL BRANDS NEED GOOD POST RIDE CARE!!!!! Not just Kawis as some of the clowns think

Waz
    thats what was wrong with the FZR donor ski i bought for my conversion, 7 of 8 exhaust valves were stuck in the full open poss, and every exhaust guide was wasted as well, and it was from poor cleaning and flushing of the ski after the all salt water season,

+1
    My wish is for ALL brands of PWC to be more reliable in the future. For instance my Yamaha outboard has been bulletproof in salt water for many years. The only thing I do is new plugs every year with the gear case oil, and every 2 the water pump. I know, trust me I know 2 completely different things. But it still begs to question that there has to be a better way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information