Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    41
    +1
    2

    What was your decision base upon?

    What were the main reason on your purchase when you brought your watercraft? I'm mainly focused on Seadoo & Yamaha.

    What were the pros vs. the cons?

    I have always been more on a Sea-Doo, but would like to get opinions from real owners.


  2. #2
    Owned 2 Polaris skis for 11 years. Was visiting fiancée in Kalamazoo MI and found affordable Polaris oil listed on line. Drive to the dealer, bought 3 Galen's for 50 bucks.

    Left, put oil in the trunk, walked back in and bought 2 new Untitled Seadoo's. so basically my oil cost me 23 Grand or so.

    Sol the Polaris skis when I got home.

    Absolutely live the Seadoo's. RXT-X which is a monster (255 SC engine) and a GTX 155 that is like driving a Caddy

    The 4-tec engines run very well. I change the oil when I winterize them. Other than buy some goodies for them that is the only money I have spent

    I really can say enough about them. Big and heavy but run fast and are agile. Like being in a small boat but with better control.

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,584
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastiejoe View Post
    ... Seadoo's. RXT-X which is a monster (255 SC engine) and a GTX 155 that is like driving a Caddy

    The 4-tec engines run very well. I change the oil when I winterize them. Other than buy some goodies for them that is the only money I have spent

    ... Big and heavy but run fast ...
    Any idea what your fuel costs add up to, per year? Per riding hour?

    Fuel economy is one of the primary Seadoo Spark selling points, which is going to highlight the fuel consumption of the bigger machines.

  4. #4

    What was your decision base upon?

    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastiejoe View Post
    ... Seadoo's. RXT-X which is a monster (255 SC engine) and a GTX 155 that is like driving a Caddy

    The 4-tec engines run very well. I change the oil when I winterize them. Other than buy some goodies for them that is the only money I have spent

    ... Big and heavy but run fast ...
    Any idea what your fuel costs add up to, per year? Per riding hour?

    Fuel economy is one of the primary Seadoo Spark selling points, which is going to highlight the fuel consumption of the bigger machines.
    Didn't total inform the year, but I can tell you that almost religiously I burn 6 gallons in the RXT and 4.5 to 5 gallons in the GTX after 2.5 hours of riding. And I ride the RTX pretty aggressive. It is such a ball that it is hard to keep your trigger finger on the throttle. LOL

    GTX runs at 55 MPH and RXT runs at 72. Both entirely stock.

    For the money, the Spark is going to be a hard ski to beat.

    If I wanted a third ski I'd buy one for sure.

  5. #5
    1200 stx-r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    2,517
    +1
    200
    I went with the vxs because of the price .

  6. #6
    The Rooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    S.E. Louisiana - Ponchatoula
    Posts
    912
    +1
    169
    Was looking for more power, storage and features, ie: cruise, trim & adjustable handlebars, than my SeaDoo had since I ride 2-up w/ my wife 80% of the time. Plus in absolute perfect conditions, it'll hit 65 mph w/ basic bolt on mods. Decent fuel economy compared w/ supercharged skis & a little less maint. The GTI 4-tech was bulletproof though. Oil & filter changes + a couple of wear rings. That was it.

  7. #7
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,938
    +1
    349
    I became interested in the PWC world when I heard of people putting them in the water in Miami and heading for the Bahamas. I just did that on Labor Day weekend.

    So my first stop was to join this forum and axe a LOT of questions. Here is my original thread. The guys here helped tremendously.

    At first, I thought I wanted the SeaDoo for two reasons: closed loop cooling and looks. But upon inquiring on here, I was immediately steered toward Yamaha which I didn't really want mainly because they don't look as Lamborghiniesque as the SeaDoo. But then I was educated about the reliability of the Yamaha.

    So then I thought I would get a pair of the VX models, probably the VX Deluxe. But then somebody pointed out that since my big dream was to go to the Bahamas, I might want the extra power of the FX HO. And that's what I ended up with.

    That being said, my Bahamas group was me on my FX HO, another guy on a FX Cruiser HO he rented from a guy on Craig's List, another guy who rented an old, beat up SeaDoo GTI 130 from Capt. Barbosa, and the other two guys riding the one guys SeaDoos: a GTX and GTX 215. The closest thing to a mechanical failure we had on the trip was that the Capt. Barbosa boat is rented to a lot of folks who just totally abuse a rental so the tine in the key was bent. Once we poked in there and straightened it out, no more problems.

    Oh, and there was the time that I hit the start button on mine and NOTHING HAPPENED! I tried it about three times and was beginning to panic when I realized I hadn't attached my lanyard. What a doofus!!!

    So, anyway, click on my link above and peruse my odyssey. Perhaps you can find some useful information there. I sure did!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    41
    +1
    2
    Just read the entire thread... very informative. I have my self rethinking as well. I have always been pro sea-doo because of the looks, features, closed loop system and always have been a fan of sea-doo. I will always be riding in salt water, and want something that can handle the rough ocean and take a beating. I also don't care to much about suspension.. may have to ask the pros about this. What would you think would be a good yamaha for these types of obstacles?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    I became interested in the PWC world when I heard of people putting them in the water in Miami and heading for the Bahamas. I just did that on Labor Day weekend.

    So my first stop was to join this forum and axe a LOT of questions. Here is my original thread. The guys here helped tremendously.

    At first, I thought I wanted the SeaDoo for two reasons: closed loop cooling and looks. But upon inquiring on here, I was immediately steered toward Yamaha which I didn't really want mainly because they don't look as Lamborghiniesque as the SeaDoo. But then I was educated about the reliability of the Yamaha.

    So then I thought I would get a pair of the VX models, probably the VX Deluxe. But then somebody pointed out that since my big dream was to go to the Bahamas, I might want the extra power of the FX HO. And that's what I ended up with.

    That being said, my Bahamas group was me on my FX HO, another guy on a FX Cruiser HO he rented from a guy on Craig's List, another guy who rented an old, beat up SeaDoo GTI 130 from Capt. Barbosa, and the other two guys riding the one guys SeaDoos: a GTX and GTX 215. The closest thing to a mechanical failure we had on the trip was that the Capt. Barbosa boat is rented to a lot of folks who just totally abuse a rental so the tine in the key was bent. Once we poked in there and straightened it out, no more problems.

    Oh, and there was the time that I hit the start button on mine and NOTHING HAPPENED! I tried it about three times and was beginning to panic when I realized I hadn't attached my lanyard. What a doofus!!!

    So, anyway, click on my link above and peruse my odyssey. Perhaps you can find some useful information there. I sure did!

  9. #9
    leejax01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville
    Posts
    1,161
    +1
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post

    That being said, my Bahamas group was me on my FX HO,another guy on a FX Cruiser HO he rented from a guy on Craig's List, another guy who rented an old, beat up SeaDoo GTI 130 from Capt. Barbosa, and the other two guys riding the one guys SeaDoos: a GTX and GTX 215. The closest thing to a mechanical failure we had on the trip was that the Capt. Barbosa boat is rented to a lot of folks who just totally abuse a rental so the tine in the key was bent. Once we poked in there and straightened it out, no more problems.

    Oh, and there was the time that I hit the start button on mine and NOTHING HAPPENED! I tried it about three times and was beginning to panic when I realized I hadn't attached my lanyard. What a doofus!!!

    So, anyway, click on my link above and peruse my odyssey. Perhaps you can find some useful information there. I sure did!
    Side note not to hijack, but you guys had a monster set to rent skis and ride loaners crossing to the Bahamas. Wow

  10. #10
    DrivingZiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,938
    +1
    349
    Well, the rental Yamaha was actually a 2013 with 75 hours. And it was kinda beat up, too. And the GTI was the same one that the guy who bought the 2 SeaDoos had ridden to the Bahamas the year before! Capt. Barbosa was saying how this was the first time he had ever rented a unit to somebody to go to the Bahamas. The guys just didn't tell him where they were going the year before!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What was your first wrenching/modding experience?
    By RXP-REX in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-05-2015, 08:30 AM
  2. whats was your first car?
    By Region8Ultra250X in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-25-2015, 06:30 PM
  3. What was your last hobby before watercraft...
    By Hydrotoys in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM
  4. Jerry, what was your hp before you disassembled?
    By ski-guy1 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 11:28 PM
  5. What was your best first mod to get some top speed?
    By meeper in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 01:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •