Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: xp vs spark

xp vs spark

Been looking for a nice used second / wave jumping ski really want a 96 xp found a clean one for 1900 obo should I go ahead and get it or wait out on the spark for quite a bit more money. Never rode an xp I have a rxpx 260 I'm riding right now I think its the perfect ski for jumping and messing around on the vs the heavy px.

Pros and cons,,,

Spark, new model year. Never know about potential common issues. The engine is proven fairly well though. It is going to knock the 2-stroke engines out if the water so to speak. Very have to pass up on a new ski for 5 grand. Figure 6 grand if you buy some goodies for it.

XP, proven over time. Know what the issue are a will be already. Pretty cheap to replace top end and what not

Both skis are going to be agile.

If you wait until next summer XPs will be cheaper as many will be selling them for the Spark, thus a lower selling price.

If someone has a modded XP they will make more money parting it compared to selling it outright in most cases.

It really comes down to the money you want to spend compared to the ease if repair if the XP and the unknowns of the Spark

I think BRP is going to sell the CRAP out if re Spark. So affordable mods will be along pretty quick.

I'm getting info saying the Spark will be more stable at slow speeds and getting back into the ski.

As a pure wave jumper I don't think the spark will be able to compete with the X4. After all, it's 10" shorter than the spark but the spark is a tad lighter.

The spark is better on fuel and new with warranty so... what are your real needs. A high maintenance relative to the spark true wave jumper or a really nice, new ski with a warranty that can jump waves better than any other new ski.

You can't go wrong either choice.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    How can you compare these things already....how many people have rode one?

5. +1 by:

+1
    The people who have ridden them have made it very clear these new sparks are what they claim to be.

There is no way 2 smokes are going to survive after the full release of the spark.
    2 smokes are going to be very very cheap this next summer and beyond.
    No body is going to spend 3k on a used 2 smoke when 5k gets a new 4 stroke with warranty.

7. +1 by:

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Only time will tell, it takes more than an afternoon to figure a ski out....

9. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    The people who have ridden them have made it very clear these new sparks are what they claim to be.

There is no way 2 smokes are going to survive after the full release of the spark.
    2 smokes are going to be very very cheap this next summer and beyond.
    No body is going to spend 3k on a used 2 smoke when 5k gets a new 4 stroke with warranty.

5k gets you a 40 mph ski. They are over 6k if you want to get to a whopping 48mph. My 95 polaris is that fast and I got it for 1000 bucks. A 2 stroke that can be had for 2000 to 2500 bucks that will still out perform the 6k new machine is a no brainer to me.

My friends 95 Polaris smells up the beach, doesn't want to start when it should, drains batteries, requires oil fill-ups with the gas (ughhhhh); is noisy; gets clogged up with weeds compared to my X; has at least one part break down each year. Other than that, it's a simple design that's bullet proof in the long run ...... but who would pass up a full warranty for a clean machine for a little more money.

In the end, nothing can compare to the look on someone's face when they've finished riding a 260+ HP machine for the first time

12. +1 by:

+1
    I would like to have a Spark but I found a nice little 01 RX Carby I am going to buy....I have had 3 of them and they make great jumpers
    I am sure the Spark will to....I just need to go a little faster and for what I am buying this boat for I can have light 66 MPH boat for under 3 k.[1k in mods]...that being said I think BPR is on the right track and I hope to have one someday[Along side my RX]

Quote Originally Posted by slope View Post
    My friends 95 Polaris smells up the beach, doesn't want to start when it should, drains batteries, requires oil fill-ups with the gas (ughhhhh); is noisy; gets clogged up with weeds compared to my X; has at least one part break down each year. Other than that, it's a simple design that's bullet proof in the long run ...... but who would pass up a full warranty for a clean machine for a little more money.

In the end, nothing can compare to the look on someone's face when they've finished riding a 260+ HP machine for the first time
    I couldn't disagree with you more. I love the smell of two stroke and they don't "smell up the beach" also the mid through late 90's skis are so much more fun to ride then the X skis I can't even articulate it. I will never ever part with my X4 unless seadoo offers a worthy replacement. The spark is a huge step in the right direction!

PS... I gave you 2 thumbs up accidentally. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information