Trying to ressurect a 1998 SLTX

Two months ago I purchased this 98 SLTX that had been sitting for about 4 years and I had hoped that the basic PM, new battery, new fuel, new plugs, rebuild carb, and replace fuel lines would be all that she needed since it was running the last they remember however that wasn't the case. I can get the engine started with a bit of starting fluid however it is running very lean right now and there is severe hesitation when trying to give throttle. The cylinder compression was good so I believe the engine to be in good shape and despite hours and hours of seaching the forums for knowledge and answers.. I'm stuck. The two big issues that I believe to have. There is a whistle occasionally when I am attempting to start the engine. I am going to assume that it is possibly sucking wind from somewhere. The other issue is a rattle coming from the bottom of the engine compartment like something is loose. I have posted a video on youtube at to hear the rattle. Any advice on possible causes would be great!

Brendan

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Remove the jet pump and drive shaft. Does the sound go away? Inspect the impeller bearings for noise, gritty feel or slop when the impeller is rotated.

Also inspect the drive splines on both ends of the drive shaft, and the places those splines slide into. The splines should be square shouldered, not worn or rounded over.

Tip: Do not lose track of the small rubber bumper from each end of the drive shaft.

Pulled the driveshaft and pump and the rattle stopped. Splines all look in good shape however there is a bit of wear on the shaft that is concerning. Guessing its time to pull everything apart and check all of the bearings. Can I run the engine on the water hose longer now with the drive shaft out to try and figure out the lean issue?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTech1018 View Post
    Pulled the driveshaft and pump and the rattle stopped. Splines all look in good shape however there is a bit of wear on the shaft that is concerning. Guessing its time to pull everything apart and check all of the bearings.

Can I run the engine on the water hose longer now with the drive shaft out to try and figure out the lean issue?
    Without the drive shaft installed there is no issue with overheating the driveline seals, of course.

However, the reverse flush water connection does not really provide consistent and even engine cooling to all cylinders. It is better to disconnect the water feed hose from the jet pump base (3/4" hose down low on right side of jet pump intake tunnel). Connect your garden hose via a 3/4" hose barb adapter. You do NOT need full water pressure from the garden hose. Just enough to trickle out the water exit at the rear of the hull.

Without a water load on the jet pump, the engine will not run quite the same as on the water.

Not sure I had a lean condition after all. The through hull bearing and seals were toast and the impeller isnt spinning very smoothly. Sounds logical that a toast drivetrain could cause all the hesitation. Engine seems to be running fine. One expensive fix and im holeful that we are back in business. Thanks K447!

Thread Information