Thread: gp1200 no spark

gp1200 no spark

so, i bought a 98 gp1200 really cheap, worked great, great compression readings. i took it to the lake once and it was flawless, 66 on the speedo. i took it out a second time where it ran great for a few minutes then suddenly died on the water. through previous direction on this site i ohmed my magneto and it was all to specs. i replaced to CDI with a used eBay CDI and still had no spark. after trying to unplug the wire leading from the handlebar controls i still found no spark. i replaced a battery and checked all my grounds and lo and behold still no spark. this leads me to believe A) i bought a bad CDI from eBay, B) the mageneto and stator really arent OK even though they tested good, or C) i have no idea. is there a way to test the CDI without placing it in a known working ski? im about through my troubleshooting abilities and i really dont want to rack up a huge troublshooting bll at a dealer. please help.

If the test is good it should be ok, how do you know there spark though? I check my spark using a spark tester, the one with a lot bulb in the middle and well, if you see the light there is spark. Did you check compression?

my ski would not start and it was the start stop button on the bars that had me in a fit... we opened it up and cleaned off the contacts inside the button and she started right up.

good luck getting yours running

Thread Information