Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2013 FZS SHO Cavitation

i bought this ski brand new a few months ago and put 50 hours on it over the course of the summer. we had a few instances of pulling rope or debris into the pump in which we had to remove the intake grate to remove, this always worked and we were back on the water. well, not long ago we sucked something into the pump with locked it up, of course when we removed the piece of wood everything moved freely without issue. only this time we started having a sever cavitation issue, we took the ski to our local Yami dealership who pulled the pump, inspected it and decided we just needed a pump stuffer kit. well, we paid them to installed the seal kit and it helped a bit but we are still having an issue. i know in stock form these skis cavitate but this is ridiculous, we can only get our 70+ mph ski to around 62 and holeshot sucks, it just bounces off the limiter for a few seconds before it bites. any input is appreciated, im considering installing a solas impellar. also, are the 2013 FZS SHO skis subject to the bucking issues i have read about with the 2011 models? thanks in advance for the replies.

+1
    sounds like your impeller is shot, need to check the clearance to the liner

+1
    ok, do the liners on these pumps wear like the wear rings on seadoos? im a two stroke junkie so im not as familiar with the newer yamis.

+1
    no, its stainless steel, doesnt wear much at all, but you could have bent blade on your impeller

+1
    Big john is right ( of course ) your impeller has been used as a blender...
    Your going to need to stop sucking stuff up or your going to be replacing your impeller often.

New impeller or have the stock 1 redone..

is your ski modified ?

+1
    it is completely stock. i ordered a solas impeller today, hopefully it will fix the issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brblommel View Post
    ...are the 2013 FZS SHO skis subject to the bucking issues i have read about with the 2011 models? thanks in advance for the replies.
    It's not just 2011 models that can buck you, this goes all the way back to the first year they came out with the FZR and FZS. I can't remember if we had specific reports of any 2013 models doing it or not (you would need to read the sticky), but personally I would get the R&D intake grate and not take a chance on it.

I've had pieces of wood bend the crap out of my prop, therefore cavitates. check your pitch

+1
    Mine ate the wear ring at 9 hours and acted just how you describe. Pump seal kit wont fix it. There is no stuffing there stock anyway. I got a new wear ring and impeller under warranty. Check the impeller to wear ring clearance. Shouldnt be more than a business cards thickness. Also shine a flashlight into the intake grate and look in from the rear. Not much light should get past. There isnt much tollerance in tge clearance. A bit too much and it will cavitate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information