View Poll Results: What do I charge this guy?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not my problem the ski likely had a rusty crank -full charge

3 23.08%
  • Parts only, no labor. Guy needs an engine now

1 7.69%
  • Parts and discounted labor. The purpose of the tank test is to find these problems

6 46.15%
  • Offer Discount on engine replacement job

1 7.69%
  • Take a loss and charge him nothing word of mouth is important

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

It finally happened today

I run skis where I've done some significant work in the test tank at full throttle.

Tpday one of them lost compression in a cylinder. The ski had been sitting for quite a while, and on the diagnosis I determined the carbs were full of tempo goo..so I checked the compression (10 pounds lower on the PTO jug, but not unusual for an SBT rebuild) and then pulled the carbs and reworked them.

So the poll questions..what should I do about charges?

Banned User
    +1
    Thats a tough call. I would probably try to feel out the customer to see what they would accept. I think I would discount the repair work, but not give it away for free.

Banned User
    +1
    Voted

If you had my ski in your possession and blew it up believe me it's gonna cost you one way or another. If intake my truck in for a work and it's still not fixed or damaged worse, not my problem. How do I not know if was something you did or overlooked while in your hands. Welcome to being in business. Do you refund or partial refund when you charge hour labor rates and it took you 20 minutes? Do you always charge me really what it took you and use oem parts? Problem is most people have a notion that mechanics are crooks. I'm not saying you are but that's most peoples thinking. We see it time and time again on TV news.

Now you you should have had a written agreement with this fella of you both knew the ski was possible damaged and was sitting for a while. Again your the professional here or he wouldn't have taken it to you in the first place.

I think parts at cost and half your labor rate is fair, but that's my opinion. I think its in your best interests to do as said to avoid word of mouth bad wrapping, future lost business, and possible avoiding going to court.
    Last edited by thatdude596; 09-21-2013 at 09:22 AM.

+1
    full price, it was your job to find out what was wrong, letting a ski sit is bad, and he should have known that

Banned User
    +1
    I dont think you can win either way. If you didnt run it in your tank, it would have blown when the customer got it back. Find out how it was stored and maybe the customer will understand what caused it.

+1
    I'm in a similar situation. Just picked up a customers ski to winterize and store for the winter and it blew a cylinder on the 5 min ride to the ramp. I'd say you did the guy a favor because if he blew it up, you know he would have kept riding it til he blew a rod through the case. But just try and convince him of that, most likely not gonna happen

+1
    Hard to say. When ever we service a ski that's been sitting a while its always part of the bill up front for a full fuel cleaning/service. Just not worth leaning out a cylinder due to a clogged carb filter or injector.

8. +1 by:

GGG

+1
    Tough call, but in all fairness I'd contact the owner and explain the situation. I would supply labor and half the parts at cost. I have been on both sides of the question in past and this seems fair for both. He may say no, and then up to you to get it back in running condition. A shop here makes people sign a waiver for any wet test( in test tank) or water test. Things happen outside anyone's control.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I run skis where I've done some significant work in the test tank at full throttle.

Tpday one of them lost compression in a cylinder. The ski had been sitting for quite a while, and on the diagnosis I determined the carbs were full of tempo goo..so I checked the compression (10 pounds lower on the PTO jug, but not unusual for an SBT rebuild) and then pulled the carbs and reworked them.

So the poll questions..what should I do about charges?
    Did you investigate why the engine failed?

Without investigating the failure, we are in part just guessing in terms of responsibility. For example, if it turns out the crank bearings are rusted then the engine was already bad before the work began.

+1
    id call him, tell him whats going on. the work performed is what he agreed to. offer him a deal to fix the other damage on the ski.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information