Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Build your own cdi?

So call me a cheap son of a bitch but I really don't want to shell out more than I paid for my my ski for a box that has a couple of resistors, a few diodes, and a fricking capacitor in it. (I'm assuming that's it) Am I missing something? Has anyone torn one of these open and gotten around all the silicone and checked out what's in there. I think I may have a bad one laying around my shop. I might very well do that but I was wondering if anyone had beat me to it. Am I crazy to think I could buy 10.00 or so of components wire it up slap it in a plastic box with some silicone and save myself a couple hundred bucks. What am I missing? Why can't we copy these things on the cheap?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    For what engine?

The Polaris red domestic engines use a digitally controlled Capacitive Discharge Ignition. There is an actual digital computing chip inside the CDI module. It controls the ignition timing curve, and of course, actually fires the ignition coils.

Among the other things it does is RPM limiting at two different levels.

Really? I assumed the timing was advanced by points on the flywheel and just sent a signal down the line to the cdi to discharge the capacitor. I guess that makes a lot of sense for sending it into limp mode and what not. I assumed somehow the mfd sent those signals. The ski I'm about to start working on is a 96 hurricane and I can't find a reasonable priced cdi anywhere. Is it different on the Fuji engines? Or our they digitally controlled as well? Thanks for the info.

+1
    Yup, there are a lot more components in a CDI than you can imagine, even early ones. Most had various gates and flip flop circuits. Later on in the evolution of Cars and Motorcycles they moved to EEPROMS, which had proprietary coding. Now things are microprocessor based, and you can def forget about replicating those hardware wise. Most of the sensors though are simple Hall effect, potentiometers or other types of variable resistors. So a recently made unit can be run off of an aftermarket CDI. Still though you are looking at spending lots of cash.

Good to know. I haven't really had to tear into ignition much more than change a coil pack. Messing with timing has always scared the crap out of me but I got this ski so cheap I really want to dig in and learn the ins and outs. No matter what I do to it, it cant run any worse than when I got it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ... The ski I'm about to start working on is a 96 hurricane ...
    Have a look through my signature links.

I recently parted out a 1997 Hurricane 1200 project, lots of parts available.

The '97 Hurricane had a few upgrades that the stock '96 did not, in particular the hull extensions and the drive shaft mid-support bearing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	314254

The hurricane hull has a tendency to porpoise at speed. Extending the ride plate can reduce this. I do have the extended ride plate and HX sponsons still available, if you are interested. See my posts in the Polaris Classifieds Parts section on Greenhulk.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The '97 Hurricane had a few upgrades that the stock '96 did not, in particular the hull extensions and the drive shaft mid-support bearing.

The 96 has the Hull extensions. Only diference is the drive shaft mid-support bearing and the addition of the blue button on the start stop switch for the manual operation of the bilge pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post

The 96 has the Hull extensions.

Only diference is the drive shaft mid-support bearing and the addition of the blue button on the start stop switch for the manual operation of the bilge pump.
    Hmmm, someone told me that the early production 1996 Hurricanes did not have the extensions, and that they were an upgrade part that came along afterwards. I do not have any proof of this, and I do see that the 5432460 part numbers are listed for both model years.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaris_Nut#1 View Post

The 96 has the Hull extensions.

Only diference is the drive shaft mid-support bearing and the addition of the blue button on the start stop switch for the manual operation of the bilge pump.
    Hmmm, someone told me that the early production 1996 Hurricanes did not have the extensions, and that they were an upgrade part that came along afterwards. I do not have any proof of this, and I do see that the 5432460 part numbers are listed for both model years.
    95 Prototype maybe????

If you get it running you will need a longer ride plate? Did you determine which ignition system you have in the Hurricane?

+1
    I have two Hurricanes. I picked up one for two-hundred with a trailer and the other for three-hundred. The problem is the 96 and 97 original twin ignitions die out and you are left spending more to fix them then what you paid for them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information