Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    STX 15f 05 exhaust filling with water then gettign water in motor.

    So I have had this problem for a while and no one can work it out. After riding the ski for around 5-10 mins I can feel the exhausts fill with water as the ski starts to bunny hop and the back end sits a lot lower in the water.
    If I stop it and try to start it again the ski get harder and harder to start until eventually I get the warning battery low.
    When I stop I check the oil and it is milky. So I take it back home and once again go through the process of changing the oil 5-6 times to get it back to normal.
    Now when I run it off the hose I don't have this problem. Oil does not get water in it.
    A bit of history, before I bought the ski it had the second exhaust removed but I recently added it back in because I thought it was contributing to the problem but it didn't resolve the issue.
    I have also replaced the star shaped rubber on the outside of the hull where the exhaust comes out.

    My gut feeling is that the problem might be the 1st exhaust box as it recently had a hole in it and was repaired(welded the hole) and before that I was going through quite a few exhaust hoses.
    On my latest attempt I took the exhaust out and I did find a bit of sand in the drain out hose that might have been blocking things up but sadly I took it for a ride and had no luck.

    After talking to my jetski servicer he seems to think it is almost impossible for water to get into the engine from the exhaust but I am 99% certain thats how it is getting in there.

    I do have another 15F I could swap the exhaust on to see but I am not confident it will solve the problem.


  2. #2
    RLACEMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Random Lake WI
    Posts
    884
    +1
    54
    The mufflers always have water in them, but it is constantly blown out while the engine is running, even if they were both full of water, you wouldn't notice it, are you getting water in the hull? if so you could suck water into the engine. I have heard of the rear section of the exhaust pipe corroding through, but that water should go out the with the exhaust. If water is getting into the oil & no water in the hull, sound like a leaking gasket somewhere in the engine. I would get this taken care of, an engine will only take so many time of water in the oil before it fails.

  3. #3
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,486
    +1
    320
    When the waterbox is filled up and you try to start it the water is sucked up into the cylinders. Thats the cause of the slow starting, battery warning, and water in the oil.

    Sean

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    The mufflers always have water in them, but it is constantly blown out while the engine is running, even if they were both full of water, you wouldn't notice it, are you getting water in the hull? if so you could suck water into the engine. I have heard of the rear section of the exhaust pipe corroding through, but that water should go out the with the exhaust. If water is getting into the oil & no water in the hull, sound like a leaking gasket somewhere in the engine. I would get this taken care of, an engine will only take so many time of water in the oil before it fails.
    There is no water in the hull (althought when your are riding it and the water box's fill up you get the sinking feeling like the haul is full of water but it's not) hence the only place the water could be is in the exhaust's. Also if it were a gasket why does it no do it when it is out of the water and running off a hose? Also if the mufflers were to fill completely with water thats lke a combined 30-40 litres (nearly 10 gallons) of water.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    When the waterbox is filled up and you try to start it the water is sucked up into the cylinders. Thats the cause of the slow starting, battery warning, and water in the oil.

    Sean
    I understand that but it doesn't really answer the question as to why it is filling up and why the water isn't getting constantly pushed out like it should.

  6. #6
    wotxxxsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    3,928
    +1
    472
    Are you in salt or fresh water?

  7. #7
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    4,486
    +1
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by bonza80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    When the waterbox is filled up and you try to start it the water is sucked up into the cylinders. Thats the cause of the slow starting, battery warning, and water in the oil.

    Sean
    I understand that but it doesn't really answer the question as to why it is filling up and why the water isn't getting constantly pushed out like it should.
    Obviously the ski is running at least initially, have you checked to make sure that you have the cooling hoses routed correctly?

    Sean

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    CORSICA
    Posts
    40
    +1
    1
    hi,
    If you get milky oil check the oil cooling plate ( where the oil filter is)
    I've already seen those been perforated by corrosion.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bonza80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    When the waterbox is filled up and you try to start it the water is sucked up into the cylinders. Thats the cause of the slow starting, battery warning, and water in the oil.

    Sean
    I understand that but it doesn't really answer the question as to why it is filling up and why the water isn't getting constantly pushed out like it should.
    Obviously the ski is running at least initially, have you checked to make sure that you have the cooling hoses routed correctly?

    Sean
    Yeah I have but this is a definite possibility. I'll get my 2 ski's side by side and double check them all.

    I have changed over the mufflers but haven't tested it yet. Need to do a few more oil changes before I have happy to run it in the water again.

  10. #10
    So I replaced the exhaust and I checked all the hoses coming from the exhaust and 2 of the hoses leading into the exhaust was different to my other ski, so I switched them and now on the latest test it didn't fill up with water and it didn't get harder to start and no milky oil.
    I just have to try the old exhaust again to see if it was the misplaced hose or the exhaust that was causing the prblem by my money is on the hose being the cause.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Kawasaki stx 15f Riva exhaust water box mod
    By z00m in forum Kawasaki Projects
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2015, 09:56 PM
  2. +++++++stx-15f osborne exhaust mod with a slight twist :)++++++++
    By Kerlow66 in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 10:06 AM
  3. Hull Filled With Water
    By JFizzleJR in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 03:07 AM
  4. Ski 1/2 filled with Water
    By STIHLBOLTS in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 01:17 PM
  5. cylinders filling with water!!!!
    By ssroadrunner in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 07:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •