Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

94 SL 750 Wiring diagram for an Analog CDI Box used on a Fuji Digital engine

Guys/Gals,

Here is some information for those who have ever wondered if you can make an older Electrical Box from a (pre 94) SL 750 machine with this type of electrical box and make it work on your 94 SL 750 with the round MFD on the dash. I had no idea when I bought a pair of 1994 SL 750's that one had the incorrect electrical box on it until I noticed that the wires from the oil resevoir and fuel sender were cut and the wiring harness was spliced and taped and my MFD obviously didn't register the correct levels. I am not familiar if the 93 SL 750 had trim or not, but mine doesn't work and can't work the way it's wired. They have it wired from the trim switch to the trim motor and it never goes into the Electrical Box...Anyway, I made a chart of how mine is hooked up (machine runs great, it just doesn't have trim or fluid level indication). The only reason I can see why you would ever do this is if you didn't want to spend the money to get the right one for your machine, or you are piecing one together like Johnny Cash..one piece at a time. Happy Splicing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	3693 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	314391
    Last edited by Superbawn; 09-23-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Changed wording/Descriptions

+1
    Wow - looks like you have some serious MacGrubering going on there.... There are pretty standard wire colors across Polaris, and the watercraft industry for that matter. I suspect several of those wires have been added in / spliced with whatever was laying around at the previous owners garage.

Please clarify what you mean by Analog CDI box vs Digital. The CDI is the small black ignition box within the larger Electrical box. The early Polaris skis did not contain a "circuit board" to allow internal wire connections. In stead, most of the wires had bullet or other type of male/female connectors. IF you started with an ebox from the earlier skis (92-93), it would make sense that wires would be spliced within the box.

What gauge are you referring to? MFD (LCD multi function), analog fuel gauge, or analog tach?

Here are a couple pictures of what I am talking about, I should have said electrical box, not just CDI Box (I will edit that). I previously posted these pictures in the Polaris Open Discussion section when I was trying to identify what I had going on here since I've never owned one of these ski's. I was told this electrical box would have been from an older "Analog" machine, maybe because pre 94 they did not have a digital gauge at all? I have the round readout or MFD that displays the fuel level on the left and the oil level on the right and you can switch between modes like RPM, Time, Distance, Hours etc, it is on the dash, not the handebars..There is no circuit board in this box as you can see. As far as MacGrubering, from what I can see, there is actually only one jumper wire added inside the electrical box that links the yellow wire coming in to two Yellow wires that are inside the electrical box, other than that it's all been done outside in the harness. I just picked up an entire electrical box from a 95 SL 750 with cdi, coils, trim motor and kill/trim switch that is coming tomorrow, so I will be putting everything back the way it was intended when I can get to it.

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	969 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	314423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	3261 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	314424

+1
    Typically the reference of Analog vs Digital refers to the signals within the CDI box itself, although I have not seen any real proof of this difference.

Wires should be like this:

Trim motor has a blue white and a green white, which connects to the blue white and green white from the trim switch/kill switch. All of your wiring to the trim/kill switch looks right.

The round MFD has a standard 8 pin connector with six wires colored Red/Purple, Black, yellow, Tan, Blue, Pink. Red/Purple should connect to the battery feed, after a 1/4 amp fuse is installed in line. The black connects to ground. The yellow connects to the Yellow from the stator harness, tan connects to tan or brown, the temp circuits. Blue connects to the blue from the oil sender, pink connects to the pink from the fuel sender.

The black wires from the fuel and oil senders connect to ground.

The stator harness will have a Black (ground), red/purple which connects to the other red purples (battery feed), yellow to connect to the yellow gauge and LR module which charges the ski, and a White/yellow, red/white, green/red, and blue/red which connect to the CDI.

It would make good sense for you to go through and chase down every wire back to its source and replace any with the correct color wire. Having a blue wire connected to a yellow connected to an orange is a recipe for disaster...... in my opinion anyway.....
    Last edited by K447; 09-23-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: 8-pin connector to MFD

I agree with your comment about making sure to trace each wire so that all the wires are hooked up and match correctly. I don't want my ski hooked up this way which is why I am putting the correct parts back into it so that everything operates as it should.

+1
    Hopefully the complete ebox you have on the way has a good condition circuit board in it. That will make things a bunch easier. I would go out and get a pack of blue crimp on female spade terminals so you can re-terminate all those wire nutted connections..... something like this

Here is what I have coming to me.

Name:	electricbox.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	314451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coilside.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	314452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Circuitboard.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	314453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bothhalves.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	314454

+1
    Excellent! Missing a few things, but should be able to get it functional from there.....

I've got some insulated spade terminals if I need them and I plan on soldering the new connections and then put shrink tube on them. I'll pop open the e/b on my other ski in case I need a reference point. As far as a few missing things, what do you see off the bat? I don't see a seal for the box unless it's different than the one thats in there.

+1
    The rubber O ring that sits in a groove at the perimeter of the box appears to be there......

Your stator harness wiring will have two connections to a ground point in both halves of the box. The red/purple off the stator harness will attach to the breaker and the red/purple on the board. If you don't already have those connections, you may need to make some jumper wires.

There are two ring terminals "floating" in the pic next to the CDI. There is a threaded post to screw them to, and there should be a steel hold down bracket for the coils. That appears to be missing.

Need to check that fuse, and you should get a few spare 1/4 amp fuses just in case.

Other than that, looks good!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information