Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2013 Wake 155 Stereo Project

As the weather here cooled off I fired up this project I had been collecting parts for. I found ATNRyan's thread and copied some of his work. I used two Kicker PX amps, a PXi50.2 with the built in iPod control and a PX200.1 for the sub. The console lid speakers are the PolyPlanar 3" that several others have used. The sub is a Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow 8" dual 2 ohm to get to the ~1 ohm load the mono amp wants. I made an amp rack out of PVC sheet material to sit behind the removable storage wall.

I had had been looking at the cavity in the front storage lid (GTI based hull no idea if the S3 hulls have similar void) saying to myself "This hole is begging for a sub." So I made a baffle from MDF and secured it into the lid. The enclosure was sealed with 3M 5200.

All wiring was done with weatherpack connectors. I built it so the amp rack is quickly and easily removed. The Kicker remote was cut into the console under the bars.

I am am very impressed with the result. Those little 3" speakers really put out some sound, and the sub compliments it perfectly. For now I am running it all off the stock battery since it has such low current draw, but may add a second battery in the future so I can safely run it on the beach without fear of draining the starting battery.

All the the equipment is nicely hidden behind the storage compartment baffle in an area where I have never noticed any water inside the hull. I also added a 12v plug any a 3.5mm aux input while I was at it.

+1
    Be careful. I cant tell people this enough. The Sea-Doo charging system is not meant to handle stereos!! You need to be mindful of how much amperage your amps use!!

You work looks good. Adding a second battery isn't going to help the potential charging system issues you may be facing!

3. +1 by:

+1
    +1
    I've seen issues before on a rxt 260 and after the client replaced his stator he pulled the music system out.
    Nice work on the install..
    What's next its only fall and a long winter is still ahead.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely keep that in mind. I figured worst case I could use a second battery that was completely isolated at all times and just charge it at home before I go out and get a few hours of run time out of it. These amps have very low current draw so I am hoping it will be ok with light use.

+1
    Drawing off the 2nd battery by itself is a great idea.
    If your running low power amps you should have no problems on the factory set up. The rxt 260 that replaced his stator was running some boom and had too much power being pulled.

What kind of sound comes out of the sub? Without a wood box, that plastic lid will rattle like a m/f
    Why not place a sealed sub box into the compartment?

Sound is great. The wood baffle and the shape of the lid itself provides a really rigid enclosure. No rattle except the lid latch when it's open.

I didn't want to put a box down in the compartment because I use that space regularly.
    Last edited by OG1; 09-23-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Nice work! My only concern would be the MDF. If it gets the slightest scratch or nick, water will get to it, and it will swell.

I would not worry about the charging system. I ran a similar system to this on a 2005 RXT for years with no problem. I just completed an install on my 2010 RXT-X, which draws even more power, and I think I'll be fine. Before I did anything to the 2005, I checked the Seadoo parts catalog. The Seadoo boats had the exact same charging system even down to the stator part number, and they come with stereos from the factory. Now, that said, I have no doubt that if you tried to run a 2000 watt system with 4 15" subs, you'd fry the stator. Personally, I think this is a holdover idea from the 90's/early 2000's skis. In that case you might need a very high efficiency amp like the Full Wave Audio, because those skis did have weaker charging systems.

Not going to hijack your thread, but here's a preview of my system. I will create a thread on it soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top View System.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	314475

Quote Originally Posted by soggydog View Post
    Nice work! My only concern would be the MDF. If it gets the slightest scratch or nick, water will get to it, and it will swell.

I would not worry about the charging system. I ran a similar system to this on a 2005 RXT for years with no problem. I just completed an install on my 2010 RXT-X, which draws even more power, and I think I'll be fine. Before I did anything to the 2005, I checked the Seadoo parts catalog. The Seadoo boats had the exact same charging system even down to the stator part number, and they come with stereos from the factory. Now, that said, I have no doubt that if you tried to run a 2000 watt system with 4 15" subs, you'd fry the stator. Personally, I think this is a holdover idea from the 90's/early 2000's skis. In that case you might need a very high efficiency amp like the Full Wave Audio, because those skis did have weaker charging systems.

Not going to hijack your thread, but here's a preview of my system. I will create a thread on it soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top View System.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	314475
    Dude that looks sick. I did put about 15 coats of plasti dip on the mdf before I installed it. I know it can't get wet from inside the enclosure, so the face is the only concern and I will def keep an eye on it.

I think the most these could ever draw is 15 amps at Max output.

+1
    Running it off the 2nd battery alone would be the best way to do it....The charging system in the skis and boats really doesn't have many amps to spare for stereos. Yes the boats come with them but it really is a crappy stereo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information