Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1996 hurricane.

1996 hurricane.

So I finally got a chance to look over the ski yesterday. When I went over to pick it up the battery was dead which immediately sent up red flags but it looked brand new. Anyway find out it was brand new guy told me couldn't get ski to start and just left it. He had just purchased it from a church yard sale and just wanted to get his money back on it cause he didn't have time to mess with it. He then hands me a 148 cdi. Said the guy at church gave it to him as a backup. Sweet. So I'm starting to think okay this thing has the upgraded ignition. It has aftermarket ride plate, intake, and flame arrestors, somebody cared about it at one point. Take a gamble pay the man and take it home. Swing by the auto parts store they test the battery, see its bad, give them the guys phone number, they say under warranty here's your new battery! Alright! Brand new agm battery. Take it home pop in the battery throw on the spark tester. Nothing. Open up the cdi it's got the upgrade why the hell isn't it working? Lo and behold the yellow and black wire was pinched in the box and I guess shorting itself out. Ignition kill well there ya go. Cut out the bad spot splice it up go to fire it up voila. Spark! Oil light is flashing as well find both lines disconnected and the carbs oil intakes tied together. Reattach oil lines crank it up still flashing although it is pretty Lo in the tank. Won't fire as well. Bummer. Anyway I'm happy as hell to know I'm gona have a running ski soon. I gambled on the ignition but I'm seeing healthy spark. . That's all i had time for last night. Time to get back at it grab a compression tester and clean carbs and replace fuel lines. I'm just thankful I have spark! Those ignitions are so fricking expensive.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Pics???

It's pretty rough. Ill snap a few but it's ugly. I'm pretty sure it's been sitting in someone yard for two years at least. Anyway. Went out got some oil, gas, compression tester. Top it off, run a compression check 125, 125. Sweet. Also notice it has a rebuilt pmc engine. I've not heard of them but I'm assuming there like Sbt? So good compression, getting fuel and oil. I also did the cdi rewire for warm starts. Anyway I decide to crank it up see what happens. Cranking, cranking, cranking. It finally pops off and doesn't sound bad. Run it about 10 seconds shut it down. Try to start back up a little later nothing? Still have spark and everything just won't start. I ran some errands came back and out later. Cranking cranking cranking finally starts up again run it for a few. It's smoking pretty good and coughed up a bunch of black stuff out the rear. Smells like gas and oil? But it also looks like it's coming out the pump seal? Anyway. It runs yay! But any ideas on why it's so hard to start?. Bad reeds? Thats all i can think of? Thats what I'll be checking next. Time to pick up my kid at school so... To be continued.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzad77 View Post
    Also notice it has a rebuilt pmc engine. I've not heard of them but I'm assuming there like Sbt?
    Old thread, so not sure what it means.... http://www.x-h2o.com/showthread.php?...-you-all-think

Im not gona sweat the rebuild manufacturer. It's got good compression and the pistion wash looked good so when it was running it was running well. I'm thinking the reeds are bad and that's who I can't get it to start easy. The throttle cable is also a little jacked up and needs adjusting because it will only allow me to go about 50%.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzad77 View Post
    Im not gona sweat the rebuild manufacturer. It's got good compression and the pistion wash looked good so when it was running it was running well. I'm thinking the reeds are bad and that's who I can't get it to start easy. The throttle cable is also a little jacked up and needs adjusting because it will only allow me to go about 50%.
    Make sure the correct spark plugs are installed.

Also inspect the spark plug caps for corrosion or bent/damaged clips.

It is common for oil black gunk to accumulate inside the waterbox and exhaust system if the engine has not been running properly and a lot of starting attempts have occurred. Also happens when the engine is run cold for short periods of time.

After you get the throttle cable adjusted properly (just a wee bit of slack at the thumb lever when the carbs are against the idle stop), check the oil pump cable adjustment. There are a pair of hash marks at the hub of the pump arm. Those marks should be aligned when throttle shaft is at the idle stop position. You will need a small mirror to see them straight on.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Hard starting is usually your carbs. They probably need to be rebuilt, but you might get away with a cleaning. The reeds are probably fine but def check them while the carbs are off.

How about some pictures?

K447. What are your thoughts on the hard starts? I bought two sets of new plugs and gapped them to spec. I bought two sets cause it seems like I'm flooding the engine, I just wanted another set to rotate in and out. I also bought new spark plug boots from the yami dealer up the street from me and trimmed the ends of the wires. And when I mean hard starts I mean it. I've had two stop and charge the battery back up twice. It's started twice and ran good it idled great. Sounded a little boggy when I gave it some gas but not until the midrange rpms but I also need to adjust the throttle cable. I'll start with that and the oil pump adjust like you said next. I'm gona pop off the carbs as well and check the reeds. I heard some where the flap sometimes won't close? I guessing this causes improper fuel/air mixture?

We posted at the same time! Yeah carbs are next on the list. I'm guessing there all gummed up. Although the fuel line doesn't look all that old and somebody changed it out at some point. I'll probably change out all the fuel and cooling lines before I take it out next year. I don't really have any plans to get it out on the lake this year. I have 4 other skis, but for some reason this little guy struck my fancy. I really like reviving the dead.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Were the original spark plug wire ends crimped on to the wires? Are you sure the replacement plug caps are actually providing a solid and reliable connection to the wire core? Put an ohm meter on the wire ends and verify the ohms are correct and the reading does not jump around as you flex the plug wires, especially near the ends.

These engines can idle and even seem to rev OK with a cylinder or two not even firing. Out of the water with no load on the impeller the engine can fool people. Put it in the water and suddenly it does not run well, or at all.

The engine should rev to red line without needing much of a throttle squeeze to get there. If it is barely getting into the mid range RPM then it may not be running very well at all.

Properly set up, these engines are not very hard to start when cold. Apply choke, crank for a few seconds and give the throttle a mild squeeze or two, and away she goes. Hot, the engine should start in 2-3 seconds.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information