Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Attention bird owners

......ok now that i got your attention i have narrowed my choices down to a conure or a senegal parrot. Anyone on here have any experience with these two species. I like the green cheeks, suns, and nanday conures since they are a little smaller and cheaper. I hear the senegal is quiter and more talkative.

yes i have had birds before anyone asks

+1
    Never had those, but my wife and I did have a sulphur-crested cockatoo for 10 years and he was a real clown. If I was going to get another bird it would probably be a cockatoo, they are super smart and very funny animals.

Banned User
    +1
    My wife's parents have an umbrella and African grey and they are too loud for me. Smart and funny but when they want to sound off its ear piercing. I literally cover my ears until she goes and settles them down. They don't like a bunch of people over and they get stressed out. Beautiful birds

Going to look at a sun conure tomorrow

Banned User
    +1
    Bought the sun conure today and couldn't be any happier. Very smart and funny bird

Pics please!!

Banned User
    +1
    Sure thing

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    My wife's parents have an umbrella and African grey and they are too loud for me. Smart and funny but when they want to sound off its ear piercing. I literally cover my ears until she goes and settles them down. They don't like a bunch of people over and they get stressed out. Beautiful birds

Going to look at a sun conure tomorrow
    I've got news for you, some of the Conures can get pretty loud too, but they are colorful.
    The worst are the big Macaws; now they can really blast it out.
    Our sulfur-crested cockatoo wasn't in the same league with the average cage birds; ours never stayed in the cage. He would ride with me on my bike on the handlebars, and sit on the table and hold a chicken leg in his foot and eat it. He was like 'Fred' on the Baretta TV series. He loved people; talked a lot and did all kinds of crazy tricks. We would put him outside in a huge oak tree and when he got tired of playing he would come down and call me to take him inside. He would even get on the floor and push my brother's Lab out of the way and take over his food bowl just to piss the dog off, lol. Birds are a lot of fun. Rascals can be hard on the furniture with their chewing habits though.

Banned User
    +1
    We struck gold with this sun conure as most sun conures are VERY LOUD! We bought him/her (sunny) from a great home but they felt with the teenage boys getting older as well as themselves they couldnt give sunny enough time and attention. sunny is 2 yrs old and has all vet papers etc. Did i mention this bird loves attention and loves to sleep/hide in your sweatshirts or blankets. The only time is really has screamed so far is when you leave and close door, but he only does it for 3-4 times. Nothing big as we have dogs and the one barks when he sees his shadow. Were a little use to noise. So far the bird is been amazing with everyone including my 12 yr old. He/she is very very tame and loves to be held and petted. Its actually very hard to get him off your shoulder. You have to get a treat and give it to him then walk to cage and he will hop off and go dunk his treat in his water. Its quite amusing how certain foods he goes to opposite of cage and dunks his food in the water with each bite. Hes in good health and really doesnt sit then and scream like my wifes parents congo grey and umbrella cockatoo. THat bird needs ear protection when it gets pissed, fn crazy loud.
    We wanted a bird that would interact and i didnt want a big bird moving forward. The bird loves to be out of its cage but doesnt cry or scream when inside and im nearby. We got a beautiful cage but the toys were old and not that nice so last night we dropped 100.00 on some new toys, cuttle bones, and a new tent. There is a bird show saturday 10 min down the road and we are going to stop in and pick up some quality food treats, and a few more toys so i can change them out often.................so far so good. will get pics up later

+1
    Very cool.
    Sounds like the bird is in a good home..

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Very cool.
    Sounds like the bird is in a good home..
    Absolutely. I'm more excited than daughter or wife! Lol I'm home everyday for the next couple weeks so that's why I choose now to pull the trigger. We also went out and bought the bird a 200.00 Honeywell air purifier from wal mart last night as well so air quality is the best I can give it. We really like sunny

Just have to work with him to get him off my damn shoulder when it's just me. He moves side to side so I can't get him. Nothing a treat won't coax him with but that's not what I want to keep having to do. Then again he's only been here for less than 24 hrs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information