Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Thinking of Purchasing a GTI SE 130

Hello all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Sea Doo GTI SE 130 this upcoming spring. Purely for pleasure use, I'm not a "hot-rodder" so I would not be abusing it whatsoever; I tend to take very good care of my toys. Can anyone say anything about the craft? From what I've ready everything has been coming up rainbows and it looks like there is nothing wrong with it.

One of my concerns after talking to someone I work with is maintenance issues. Granted he has not owned one, and is going by what happened to his friend in the past, but he said they are a lot to keep up and you're always putting money into them, and he remembers it always being in the shop more than on the water. after all, we know "Boat" stands for "Bust out another thousand." Granted this was most likely many years ago, but I'm wondering how true this is nowadays, aside from normal seasonal maintenance. I guess I would like to know how reliable they are and if they really are money pits like some boats end up being.

If anyone can shed some light on the subject and the craft it would be great!

+1
    The GTI's are great and bullet proof....

Plenty of storage and runs on 87 octane. They had a timing chain issue 2 years ago with some of the Rotax motors but all is well now. the n/a motors are rock solid...

Where are you located?? I have GREAT deals on my 2013 GTI's till the end of the month. If your not too far from Atlanta, it might be worth the drive.

3. +1 by:

+1
    hahaha i'm about 1200 miles away. smack dab between buffalo and rochester New York.

Thanks for the info tho! another question.... I travel to Virginia Beach quite a bit as I have a lot of family down there; is pulling a jet ski 600 miles one way safe on the trailer/tires and are they able to run in both salt water (brackish) and fresh?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mholota View Post
    hahaha i'm about 1200 miles away. smack dab between buffalo and rochester New York.

Thanks for the info tho! another question.... I travel to Virginia Beach quite a bit as I have a lot of family down there; is pulling a jet ski 600 miles one way safe on the trailer/tires and are they able to run in both salt water (brackish) and fresh?
    Tires should be fine if properly inflated. I'd stick w/ 12" or larger though. Just did approx. 750 miles round trip.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mholota View Post
    ... I travel to Virginia Beach quite a bit as I have a lot of family down there; is pulling a jet ski 600 miles one way safe on the trailer/tires ...
    Tires should be fine if properly inflated. I'd stick w/ 12" or larger though. Just did approx. 750 miles round trip.
    If you want to put miles on a trailer then buy a good quality trailer. Something with torsion axles, not leaf springs. The Triton Elite series all have torsion axles and are overall quite well made.

I have 13 inch radial wheels and tires on my Triton Elite double, but the 12 inch wheels and tires should also be fine for a single watercraft tailer.

Maintain the trailer tires at maximum sidewall rated air pressure (measured when the tires are cold). Replace the tires every five years, including the spare. Trailer tires don't wear out, they become aged and fragile from exposure.

+1
    Welcome to the Forum! I'm from the northern Syracuse area. Nice to see another UP-stater.

Don't let your friend at work decieve you. The newer Seadoo's with the 4-Tech are very reliable. Many, many GTI 130 - 155's in our area. Checking the oil level every once and a while, and keeping gas in it, is all you need to do all season long. Have the oil and filter changed at winterization time, then it's good to go for the whole next season. I always put in a fresh set of plugs after the fogging oil is burned off after the first season's ride. That's all I DOO with mine.

There are quite a few GTI's up and down the lake I'm on. I know most of them. Some of the machines are well taken care of. Some are beaten and abused. None of them break down.....

As for the trailer, I agree with the above poster's. Spend a little extra in the beginning with an upper quality trailer, with the upgraded highway tires and wheels. Personally, I have a double Triton Elite II with the upgraded 13" tires and wheels.

Best wishes with your upcoming purchase. Have a good look at the deals NOW. This is the time of the year that dealer's mark them way down, just to get rid of them. Especially in our area. Prices go up in the spring and are FIRM.

Good Luck!

+1
    I know three people that bought them. Rock solid with no issues. Your friend must be talking about older 2 strokes.

+1
    Have you looked at the new Spark by SeaDoo?

+1
    I have glanced over the Spark, but I like the features that come with the 130 more.

Sea-Nyle- glad to know there are some 130-155's in the area. They must be able to handle our winters if properly cared for then. Is there a sea Doo dealer in the Syracuse area? I know there is one in Victor, and one in Niagara Falls.

+1
    One of the guys who came to the Bahamas with us rented an OLD 130 and it handled the trip just fine. It was old with many hours and still worked fine. At least it worked fine after we discovered that the trouble getting it started was because it was a rental and people are rough on the key and bent a tine in it. Once we straightened it, flawless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information