Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rattling sound

Rattling sound

Well folks got the 95 XP out of my shop yesterday after doing some work on it over the winter. Got it in the water and ran great. I guess I fixed whatever was making it hard to start. After riding I got it back on the trailer and started it to blow the water out and heard a rattleing sound in the pump area. Seems to go away when the engine is revved a bit. The only thing I did in this area over the winter was pull the nozzle off to check the impeller and wear ring. Everything is tight as far as I can tell and it sounds as if it's deep in the drive line. Can't tell anything with a visual inspection. Any ideas on this? Thanks, Karl

Banned User
    +1
    its just a little spline slap, because there is no load on the prop...you're fine.

Thanks for the reply Danny. Not sure how many hours are on this ski so noises worry me a bit.

Blackhardt: that`s normal, they all make noise when the grease finally gets washed out/off the splines when first re-installing the pump after service.
    made me crazy for a while...PR...

the rattling is coming from the pump at idle. because sea-doo did not use a spring loaded pusher cone until 1997. It is a cheap fix and you can buy a updated style cone kit on ebay for 20.00. ebay item number 190072455006 It will work on all 1988-1997 skis.

my 2002 RXDI rattled and so does my 2004 GTX. I`ll get the first few runs after the pump has been re-installed with fresh grease on the shaft splines, then once it washes off, the rattle comes back...PR...

i have this problem on my rxp, even after i install fresh grease. driving me freakin nuts . still havent figured out a way to fix it.

+1
    Its common Karl.

You can buy this upgrade kit for your 95 to help eliminate the noise some. It helps put tension on the pump bearing and shaft assembly to help keep the noise to a minimum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/sea-d...spagenameZWDVW

The driveshaft is a floating shaft setup. The
    OEM shaft has two rubberplugs that go on each end of the shaft. But there is still slack/play in the assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rattlekit.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	19126  
    Last edited by RX951; 03-18-2007 at 09:19 PM.

That cone shut my 95 spx up quick! it does work. My RXP sounds like holy hell at idle...it is annoying

Thanks for all the info folks. I had seen that kit just today as I was cruising some of the sites. I may get the kit here in the near future but as long as my shaft isn't about to fall out or the bearings aren't getting ready to come apart it eases my mind abit. Once again I have learned some useful information on these things. Karl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information