Trim motor/gas gauge not working

My trim motornd gas gauge is not working on my 1996 polaris SL 700.When bi-passed in the electrcal box the motor works (so then the switch works). We thought it was the selenoid or what ever the little box that the wires go to. I bought a used one on e-bay and replced the little boxe(s)...still no different but now the ski would only turn over but would not start. No gas was getting to the carbs. .....trim still did not work. Put the old selenoid back on and it started right up?? Stilll no trim motor or gas gauge.I am at wits end!! No body in town works on these anymore. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also the bilge does not work??

Trim , bilge and gas gauge not working. Bi-passed in the electrical box.....switch and trim motor work. SELENOID boxes in the electrical box?? Bought used box off of e-bay,replaced selenoid(s) ski would turn over but would not start?? Everything else still not working?? No gas was getting to the carbs.Put old selenoid(s) back on and ski started again but still no trim ,bilge and gas gauge??? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by K447; 09-25-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Duplicate, repeated info

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Electrical problems need to be diagnosed and resolved in a methodical manner.

For reference, see my signature links for additional basic info and lots of notes.

We need to be clear on the terminology of the various parts, to minimize confusion.

What is the item you are calling a solenoid? Does it have a part number on it?

Note that it is possible there are several different problems happening, which might need several differentthings fixed.

The fuel system has nothing to do with the electrical system, it is entirely mechanical. No fuel to the carburetors is not an electrical issue. The fuel pump is powered by air pulses from the engine crank case.
    Last edited by K447; 09-25-2013 at 07:55 PM.

PN 4795??....5195 the wires from the trim motor go into this one. These are the only 2 little boxes in the electrical box.They look like some type of relay about the size of a box of matches.

+1
    Your 96 SL700 has two LR modules in it. One is an LR-21 which regulates the charging system. The other is an LR-52 switch. The LR-52 turns power onto the bilge pump, trim motor, and fuel gauge. Since these are the three systems that you indicate do not work, This unit is probably at fault. As you described, it is about the size of a small match box and will have red/purple, yellow, orange, and red/white wires attached to it and plugged into the circuit board. It looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Jet-...dce826&vxp=mtr Polaris part number 4060110. Also be sure the 3A fuse for the bilge pump is in good working order.

i replaced that module/relay with the one I got off of e-bay and still nothing worked. Then the ski would turn over but not start. We had the carbs exposed and the carbs were not getting fuel. Put the old one back on and it started??How do you check this relay. I hate to buy ANOTHER one if I do not have to.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by towerygl View Post
    i replaced that module/relay with the one I got off of e-bay and still nothing worked. Then the ski would turn over but not start.

We had the carbs exposed and the carbs were not getting fuel.

Put the old one back on and it started??

How do you check this relay?
    I hate to buy ANOTHER one if I do not have to.
    The carburetors and fuel pump are in no way influenced by the electrical system. If the engine is cranking the fuel pump should be pumping, as it is mechanical. Of course, if the fuel has drained away while the machine was sitting, it can take a while for the cranking to pump the air out of the fuel supply hoses and deliver actual fuel to the carburetor. If the fuel selector valve was turned off, there would be no fuel flow to the engine.

Connect a multimeter to the Orange terminals in the electrical box. When the engine is off, the Orange terminal should have near zero or zero volts. When the engine is cranking or running the voltage on the Orange wires should jump up to battery voltage. This is what a properly working LR module does with the Orange wire output.

Trace the Red/Purple wire that comes from the actual CDI ignition module. Does that wire connect to the Orange wires or to some other Red/Purple wires?

Thread Information