Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spark and DESS

+1

Spark and DESS

It appears that the Spark will not use the long standing DESS. It uses a magnetic lanyard of a new design. We know that the DESS has a microamp draw at all times that will discharge the battery. My question is will this new lanyard also discharge the battery? Can you reach the battery through one of the access panels, or will you have to take the seat and top deck assembly off?

Is this new lanyard expected to be used on the other models?

+1
    They did not use DESS to keep the cost down, so I would not expect the new Spark key to work on any other models.

Yes, there is a larger panel on the left side (I believe) to access the battery and com cable, the deck doesn't have to come off to access the battery

+1
    That is good info to know. The panels are so high up from the hull, I was afraid the battery was buried down low. I did not think the DESS system would be very expensive, especially since they have been using it for 15 years. My hope is that the new lanyard system does not have any electrical drain when not in use to avoid the battery discharge issues of the DESS.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the hint of a "magnetic" key would put these devices into the same operating class as the older Kawasaki skis with the orange key, which was magnetic.

I doubt the system will drain the battery, but somebody will be looking at that as soon as the spark lands at their garage.

Downside=keys only thru Seadoo..and likely no dealer will carry all of the spark keys ( assuming they are all coded uniquely for perhaps a series of 50 part #'s)

which means if you lose these keys, you are pretty much screwed for a week or more..that's assuming they aren't using a half a dozen combos.

Hint=get extra keys on the way when you get your ski....

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    They want 50 bucks for the extra key !!

+1
    So...we only get "1" key with the spark?

Cya

Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    snip.... We know that the DESS has a microamp draw at all times that will discharge the battery. My question is will this new lanyard also discharge the battery? snip.....
    This is not true. It is not the DESS system that draws power, it is how they sense power and power up the ski. Early skis prior to 2003 applied power to the MPEM, which in turn sensed the reed switch. The internal MPEM circuits drew power, sometimes as much as 10 milliamps in the case of the DI's, when the key was off the post. If you left the key on the post, the current draw was somewhat higher.

In 2003 they started using the main power relay, and the off-key current dropped considerably. However, the "key-on" current draw shot up tremendously, so that is why they started with the annoying 4 beep signal to remind you to take the key off post.

The point of this explanation is the Spark is no different than the other DESS models from an off-key current draw, provided they keep the existing power relay design. However, they probably have switched to a design like the Yamaha and Kawasaki systems that simply uses the key for emergency purposes, in which case you could leave the key on indefinitely without any large amount of current draw. And there really isn't any cost advantage to eliminate DESS, in fact it would have been more expensive to develop the new key than use the existing DESS system.

My guess about why DESS isn't used is because they want the Spark to be a killer rental ski, not because of cost. Rental companies hate managing DESS keys, especially those out in remote areas that don't have dealers or a key programming tool.

+1
    Sparks are going to be gobbled up by the rental companies...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the key issue is a no brainer any more for rental outfits without exception my customers with two skis or better went for key alike service

kawasaki magnetic keys run $40+ but you get two keys for that money.

my issue will be how easy it will be to bypass that switch when somebodies keys go to the bottom on a holiday weekend

we'll have to see if rental companies get a variant, or the dealers will simply order hen keyed alike ( if such a thing is even possible)

Can't wait to see what the BRP think tank came up with as a new idea

+1
    Whatever the year, the DESS post is always hot with a current draw. Later designs maybe less, but there is a draw at all times waiting to read the lanyard code. I just hope the Spark system doesn't force you to disconnect the battery or have a charger on the battery when it is not being used.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information