Now this is an appropriate speed limit sign. dragon129's Avatar

Any 08 FX SHO quirks?

As with a lot of introduction year models, there tends to be issues just because it's a first release. Are there any issues with the first fx sho models that are concerning? There is one I am thinking about purchasing for 6k. It's red and has 121 hours on it. The g-hulk family guided me through the purchase of a FZS and helped with the bucking issue so I figured I can't go wrong with asking for your help again. Thanks in advance.

+1
    SC clutch upgrade to 3rd gen. Other than that and maybe an intake grate, your golden. Had 2 and they were great skis. Yamaha hit the nail on the head with the SHO.

Well, it took me a while but my patience paid off. Picked up a 09 black/green fx sho to go with my 09 fzs. The guy beached the crap out of it so the keel is not the prettiest but it's still a nice boat. Ended up picking up both boats with less than 90 hours a piece for a few grand less than a single 2014 fzr/fzs. I'm stoked. It's going to be around 63 degrees this weekend so I'm going to take them out for a bit. I'm not into modding the crap out of them. Just looking for some good reliable watercraft to have some fun on. These things are already smoking fast. Hopefully I won't get any supercharger issues for a while. These things are quite expensive. Good on the folks who have the funds to buy brand new toy for the cost of a vehicle, I'm just not one of them. I picked these watercraft mainly on the advice from this website. You folks have great insight on these things. Thanks GH members

+1
    There was an issue with a fuel line connector failing on some of the early 2008 SHOs. Not sure how to tell if you have the upgraded part... but hopefully someone else here can point you in the right direction. Even if you have to replace it, it is a super easy 5 minute job.

+1
    2009 model sho skis still needed the s/c clutch upgrades. The 3rd generation models are what needs to be installed on both the sho skis.

Congrats on your purchase!!!

Thanks guys. Was the fuel line a recall? I can run the vin at the Yamaha shop to see if it's been taken care of. I see that the clutch upgrade is 1k a piece. Is it just as easy to wait until these clutches go out before I change them?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon129 View Post
    Thanks guys. Was the fuel line a recall? I can run the vin at the Yamaha shop to see if it's been taken care of. I see that the clutch upgrade is 1k a piece. Is it just as easy to wait until these clutches go out before I change them?
    Yes, you should be able to call a dealer and give them the vin number. Regarding the clutch, I think you have got some bad advice. I wouldn't touch it unless it breaks. There really is no reason to spend the 1k on the new '13 clutch if you don't plan on modding it to heavily. Plus, it's not like you have one of those '11 clutches that sheer the teeth off. Just ride it and dont even give it a second thought.

There are plenty of SHOs/ FZs out there with an '08-'09 clutch with no issues, myself included.

Definitely not doing anything more but riding what I have as far as mods goes. From what I understand, when the s/c goes in a Yamaha, it's not a catastrophic failure like a Sea Doo. I assume it's more contained in the s/c so it can be fixed without worry. I am certainly no expert on the subject however. Sounds like it's just one of those, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of thing.

Well damn....I went out yesterday on the FZS and low and behold, I was limited to 5k rpm. I ran the diagnostics and it shows normal. Hit the old search button on this site and found a couple of possibilities. I pulled the intake and spun the s/c. It only spins the one way and doesn't sound funny. Plugs look a little old so I will swap them when they get in on Thursday. Looked around for any hoses that may have popped off but nothing out of sorts there. Praying the old plugs are the problem, but something tells me I won't be so lucky. 75 hours on the FZS. I also seen that even though the s/c only spins one way, there still may be an issue. Cross your fingers....

So, the plug change didn't work. Of course I couldn't be that lucky. So, I started the disassembly process for the s/c change. Everything went without a hitch. The only real headache is cleaning the gasket surfaces. Everything looks great as far as gears go. The s/c spins like a champ (In one direction). At this point, it really feels like I'm just wasting money since everything looks so good. My brain is now mush however as all I have been doing is searching the site for s/c problems/issues. I guess the only thing remaining could be similar to FZS Monty as he described a slipping clutch problem. That's all I can think of that can be wrong. Because I have done nothing but looking the issue up, I am torn on what direction to go. Seems like the consensus is just an updated 2013 drive gear, clutch, and idler gear since my FZS is stock. Looking at the new Riva gear damper, BOV, R&D s/c shaft, and a host of other methods of bulletproofing the clutch (Did I mention my brain is mush?), it's tough to make the best decision to make this thing s/c issue last. Although, I know I need that R&D clutch tool..... Decisions decisions.....

Thread Information