Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I Sure Effed It Up This Time! Don't mess with a 2 stroke carb, just rebuild it!

Well after this forum took me to a completely new level of knowledge about the Polaris watercraft (potentially more than I needed) I have managed to waste all of my learning in only 3 hours of ride time. So I proceed with my story as a learning experience to others and a chance for everyone to laugh at me!

After months of this 1997 SL1050 sitting in my garage awaiting alot of things but the most important of them being a rebuilt engine with a new MAG cylinder being the one that burned down. So I went about a full rebuild and it went well. A new platinum WSM piston kit at .25 over with cylinders bored and honed with a perfect crosshatch from a local shop.

I reinstalled and got pumped for the first day on the water. The rebuild went great and the inside of the ski looks damn near brand new, but I forgot something VERY important. I was so excited about the fresh rebuild and testing my work that I didnt think to myself "hey, you dumbass what caused that MAG cylinder to shred to pieces in the first place."

Well..... today I found out, after only 3 days on the water and a total of maybe 3 hours on the fresh rebuild I lost all power and the engine died today out on the water a few times. I found a loose red power cable and tightened it and went on my way, only to feel a loss of power at the top end and alot of hesitation under half throttle.

So I made the judgement call to bring her back in and on the way back in I started to feel the shaking like a misfire at 30-50% throttle. I knew at that moment that I had most likely blew up the same piston. And sure enough I got it on the trailer and that MAG piston was hot as hell and then got home to find she was destroyed!!!!!

SO..... long story short..... rebuild your damn carbs before putting a rebuilt engine on the water. I have literally no fuel on the top end in that cylinder and there is now a 1/2" of piston gone on the exhaust side.

Checked the piston wash on the other 2 and they actually look a little rich, but now I will be replacing everything on the MAG cylinder and have officially wasted around $150! Anyways thats my story and if anyone wants to help me rebuild a carb tomorrow or send a rebuild kit my way it would be greatly appreciated haha!

So go on now make fun of my ignorance, but for those of you less experienced like me, dont mess with a 2 stroke carb, just rebuild it!
    Last edited by K447; 09-27-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Thread title clarified

+1
    Sorry about the bad luck. Hard way to learn a lesson.

+1
    I think we have all been there! I put a bunch of mods on my SLT750 and was excited to take it out to find i didnt hook an oil line back up! WHOOOPS. Rebuild kits from John Zigler

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unfortunate (but all too common) way to learn that lesson.

Have you seen this resource?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    getting to the bottom of the original engine failure is paramount to a successful repair..that's pretty much rule #1

it can get really annoying to do the same job a bunch of times if there were TWO factors causing the engine blow up ( like a lean carb overheating the jug and right before it blows the excessive heat creates an engine case leak.

This is one of the reasons I've found that doing top ends alone is just not economical for me..or the customer.

+1
    You probably need to go thru the bottom and make sure the crank and bearings are clean as well. A leak down test is good insurance as well.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Somewhere we have a link (in K447's resources) to a real good carb rebuild directive that was done by SBT with great pictures. Or can find it on their website. The one thing to remember with mechanical ..... It's all physics. Things don't just happen, there is always a reason when things go south. The hard part, but interesting, is to go back and find the cause based on the result. And no one should laugh. Even the best, screw up and have problems. How many NASCAR teams have mechanical failures each week? And they are some of the best of the best......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    Somewhere we have a link (in K447's resources) to a real good carb rebuild directive that was done by SBT with great pictures. Or can find it on their website. The one thing to remember with mechanical ..... It's all physics. Things don't just happen, there is always a reason when things go south. The hard part, but interesting, is to go back and find the cause based on the result. And no one should laugh. Even the best, screw up and have problems. How many NASCAR teams have mechanical failures each week? And they are some of the best of the best......
    Yep, the melted piston is a symptom of the problem.

I picked up a 94 SL 750 this summer that just had the PTO piston replaced, the guy showed me the old piston that had a hole in it, said he had it out 3 times after that and it ran great, I even had him fire it up on the trailer so I knew it ran. I made the mistake of assuming he fixed the cause...I didn't have it on the water for more then 10 minutes and the same exact thing happened right after I pinned the throttle. Had I known what I know now about these Polaris fuel systems I would have never even rode it until I updated everything. Lesson learned AGAIN. How many lessons do I need!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Superbawn View Post
    ... Had I known what I know now about these Polaris fuel systems I would have never even rode it until I updated everything.

Lesson learned AGAIN. How many lessons do I need!
    Well, we do what we can around here to get the word out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information