Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Required safety equipment, per Transport Canada

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ View Post
    ... got ticketed though, stopped for a check, and my flashlight was full of water. $240... oh well!
    I have been very happy with the Fenix brand LED flashlights. Water sealed with o-rings, metal construction, fairly tough, and quite bright.

I generally recommend the Fenix LD models with AA battery power, but the CR123A Lithium battery powered flashlights are very compact and have excellent run time and very long storage life.

Even for an AA powered flashlight, I suggest putting in Lithium AA batteries. Much more power duration than alkaline, long shelf life, and light weight.

If you are carrying an old-school flashlight with an incandescent bulb, replace it with a decent LED waterproof sealed flashlight. Bulbs are nowhere near as tough as a good LED flashlight.

I also had a safety inspection on the water this Wednesday. Was asked for my Boater card, sound signaling device, flashlight, throwable rope. Questions ceased when they saw how much gear I had in the storage compartment
    Last edited by K447; 09-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.

+1
    LOL. now my concern is i bought a 94 square nose superjet, and have to make a strap to hold the fire ext under the hood.
    You are not required by law to carry a fire ext., AS long as you are wearing a PFD.
    I had this discussion with a marine cop, most aren't aware of this.
    Cruise into the USA however...fire ext required.

+1
    any literature showing this? sadly forums dont hold up well in court.

cause according to this under PWC, a 5bc fire extinguisher is required.
    http://www.waterwaysontario.com/safe...ety-equipment/

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Look on page 22-24 of this guide:
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/publications/en/.../hr/tp511e.pdf

Personally, I carry all this stuff. You never know when you'll come across someone else in distress.

+1
    headed to nanticoke tomorrow for a ride, then riding dunnville saturday night.

and i think you missed the info there. under PWC (which we are) on page 24, its listed you must have an extinguisher.

+1
    headed to nanticoke tomorrow for a ride, then riding dunnville saturday night.

and i think you missed the info there. under PWC (which we are) on page 24, its listed you must have an extinguisher.

on pg 24 if you the finer print under the PWC header it does list the exemptions, wearing a PFD makes the fire ext on option only. According to this guide all our other safety gear is not required with a PFD...I was not aware of this!
    There is other literature on this, just need to look at the finer print. A dealer made me aware of this years ago, while another very recently told me different. To argue the point she had a marine copper friend meet me at their shop when I went to pick up a new fire ext for this years visit to the U.S. He argued it was necessary, I politely told him he was an idiot and check his facts. Two days later I got a phone call apology, nice touch...what do we learn here is cops are ignorant of the law...go to court!!

M447 makes a good point for having an ext. though

Enjoy the ride CRJ, weather looks great.
    I think I may ride from Trenton to Kingston and back on Sat, warm and low winds, yeeha!!

+1
    ... i think you missed the info there. under PWC (which we are) on page 24, its listed you must have an extinguisher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Transport Canada 2012 Safe Boating Guide, page 24
    Equipment listed in 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 11 is not required if everyone on board is wearing a lifejacket or PFD.
    1. One (1) lifejacket or PFD for each person on board

2. One (1) buoyant heaving line at least 15m (49’3”) long
    3. *One (1) reboarding device
    4. One (1) watertight*flashlight

OR Three (3) flares of Type A, B or C

5. One (1) manual propelling device
    OR One (1) anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination

6. One (1) bailer or manual bilge pump

7. One (1) sound-signalling device or appliance
    8. **Navigation lights
    9. ***One (1) magnetic compass
    10. One (1) radar reflector (See Note 3, p. 28 )

11. One (1) 5B: C fire extinguisher
    The magnetic compass requirement is something many of us may overlook. Yes, it is "*** Not required if the boat is 8m (26’3”) or less and operated within sight of navigation marks." Personally, we are often riding far enough out that there are no navigation marks visible, unless you consider the CN Tower and other tall shoreline landmarks to be sufficient.

I should find a source for some nice PFD attachable compasses. Needs to be compact, tough, waterproof and lanyard/split ring attachable.
    This sort of thing, but perhaps smaller. Or this;
    Attachment 314827

Attachment 314823
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLR204_0.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	384.7 KB 
ID:	314843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5010-587_NOC02_view1_720x720.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	314844  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    ... According to this guide all our other safety gear is not required with a PFD...I was not aware of this! ...
    Not ALL the equipment requirements are dismissed if you are wearing a PFD.

Sound signalling device (such as a whistle) and waterproof flashlight are still required, even when wearing a PFD. I keep both attached to my PFD, which essentially makes the PFD a ready to ride 'safety kit'.

I also have a small compass attached to that PFD.

+1
    Thought as much, thanks for the info.
    I carry a garmin 78 gps with proper maps, one heck of a handy tool. Floats if dropped in the lake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    ... I carry a garmin 78 gps with proper maps, one heck of a handy tool. Floats if dropped in the lake.
    I always assume that all portable electronics can/will fail, so I prefer to have 'manual' devices to at least meet the regulations.

The electronics are (for me) in addition to, not as, the basic required equipment.

I carry an iPhone in a waterproof case, and sometimes carry my old Garmin GPSMap76CSx (floats, but the screen is rather tiny). Also have a waterproof VHF Marine radio with built in GPS and DSC, made by Standard Horizon.

I used to also carry a pair of FRS waterproof radios, but we just did not use them (we ride two watercraft most of the time).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information