Unhappy 2000 Polaris Genesis

Hello all,

I am new here so I will try to be as detailed as I can, so i bought 2 Polaris jet skis I have only been a boat owner so this is new to me. I took them out for a water test and both did extremely well you could tell that both had sat awhile so when i brought them home I did what i thought would be good to do. Changed plugs, gas and, oil, so then next weekend I took them to the lake and at first everything was great then the 2000 Genesis started losing power, towed it back to the dock, It would idle great just had no power to go. checked everything I could think of with no sucess, thats when i found this site and read all up on them and low and behold the regulator was in the bottem of the pump. So I did the fix that was on here and took it back to the water. I didnt launch or nothing just put it in the water on the trailer and tried to start it.Well it started twice but when it did start it reved up really high then died, so i got out the fuel pressue gage to check it and tried to start it again and it wouldnt start. so i tried again and i heard this loud thunk and the started was just sitting there spinning. so i called it quits and brought it home, got home took everything off to get to the starter pulled the starter and it tested good. to the internet i went and read about the bendix, pulled the flywheel and yup it had teeth missing, so I ordered replacement and when it got here replaced it put everything back together. turned the motor over just for a few seconds to make sure it was right before putting it back together, everything seemed good so got to the point put the plugs back in and tried to start it turned over but was not starting, on the third try heard a loud thunk again and starter was just spinning called it quits. well today i pulled the flywheel cover again and pulled the flywheel and now it has teeth missing, now either i missed it when i had the flywheel of or it happend when i tried to start it i dunno but one of the magnets was broken. there does not seem to be any damage to the stator. My question is, did all this break because of wear and tear or could there be something else wrong, i mean it spun just fine with no issues until i put the plugs back in. i cannot tell you how many hours it has as it showes 2.4 hrs on the HUD which i dont think is right at all, is it worth my time and money to replace the flywheel, could i have a underlying problem that if i do replace the flywheen it will just tear something else up? Thanks for any help in this matter

P.s. I am attaching photos of the damaged parts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0517.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	314870   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	314871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	314872  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

It seems that your 2000 Genesis is a Ficht fuel injected model. See the Ficht section of my signature links, if you haven't been there yet.

If the magnet was already cracked or loose then it can jam against the stator and lock up the engine. I would remove and inspect the stator for possible damage. The six magnet flywheels do sometimes lose their magnets. Replace that flywheel with a new or good used flywheel. Must be from/for a Ficht engine, the carburetor engines use a different flywheel.

Note that the 12 magnet flywheel which was OEM on the MSX 140 model seems to be a better flywheel, if you can find one. Fully interchangeable with the six magnet flywheel.

Tip: Always use a genuine Polaris OEM woodruff key when installing the flywheel. Generic woodruff keys are often made from a soft metal, the OEM part is much stronger.

Be sure to clean all metal debris and particles from the flywheel housing. Remove and inspect the CPS sensor from the top of the housing. It should have zero damage and zero metal particles on the sensor bottom face.

I you have not done so already, do inspect and service the jet pump and driveline.

The key to having reliable watercraft is to not just fix what seems broken right now, but to inspect, clean, check, update, refresh and maintain the entire machine.
    Last edited by K447; 09-27-2013 at 11:18 PM.

I will do all this I did find your link I have read alot of your postings thanks for the advice.

Hello again,

Alright i got the new flywheel installed, cranking real good installed kawi regulator. it will start but will not stay running, runs for about 5 to 6 seconds, and i don't understand the code reading. it did backfire twice but after it backfired it started running. waiting right now for battery to get a full charge. if it has a weak battery will it not run? checked fuses and they all looked good. but i dont see anything hooked up on my relay switches. is that normal?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cbates670 View Post
    Hello again,

Alright i got the new flywheel installed, cranking real good installed kawi regulator. it will start but will not stay running, runs for about 5 to 6 seconds, and i don't understand the code reading. it did backfire twice but after it backfired it started running. waiting right now for battery to get a full charge. if it has a weak battery will it not run? checked fuses and they all looked good. but i dont see anything hooked up on my relay switches. is that normal?
    What relay switches?

Thread Information