Thread: Pump alignment

Pump alignment

So I had to rebuild the engine on my 1999 genesis. Do I need a pump alignment tool or is there another way to do it?

If I need one where can I buy one? Or will my local shop let me use one?

And is there an easy way to remove all the sealer on and around the pump? Thanks
    Last edited by Flyboy8; 09-28-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Actually, it is the engine that gets aligned with the jet pump axis, not the jet pump to the engine.

Did you keep track of the location and number of shims under each engine mount?

Sometimes the engine settles nicely right back where it was before, and the alignment works out OK by itself. Sometimes the engine ends up sitting slightly different than it should be.

The issue with alignment is that incorrect alignment, unless it is extreme, may not be immediately apparent. The driveshaft still slides into place and the jet pump all seems good enough. The driveshaft ends have enough slop to accomodate a misalignment without necessarily binding up. The misalignment causes stress on the driveline and the drive splines, and this can cause excessive wear at the splines or thorough-hull bearing, typically.

The alignment tool is much more precise than the driveshaft. If the engine is not perfectly aligned with the jet pump the alignment tool will not slide into the engine coupler.

When the engine is adjusted so that the alignment tool does slide smoothly through the jet pump stator bearings and right into the PTO drive coupler, then the alignment is definitely good enough for the actual driveshaft.

+1
    we sell, and rent tools here......

https://www.watcon.com/driveshaft-al...name=alignment tool

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post

How does the rental program work?

What does it cost to rent?

+1
    Make sure you find the bumpers that go on the ends of the driveshaft. Sometimes one of them is inside the coupler. The other end can be in the shaft or may fall out. Keep an eye on them.

Funny that you mentioned that. Today I was cleaning up around the shop and saw a rubber bumper on the ground that was the same as one that was on the other side of the driveshaft. Didn't even know there was supposed to be 2

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post

How does the rental program work?
    50.00 + s&h, and a 75.00 deposit for the rental. The 75.00 will be returned after the tool is back, and inspected. It MUST be straight, and in perfect condition. I ship this in a reusable HD tube.

You are allowed to have the tool in your possession for one week. ( 7 days). I calculate the time it takes to get to the customer. I then add that time as well for return shipping.

So, lets say it takes 2 days to get the tool to a customer, I would HAVE to have the tool back in my possession in 11 days from the order. ( or less). IF not back in time, I charge another rental.

Hope this helps. As of now, You have to call the shop to rent. 608-743-1305 This is for U.S. ONLY. NO international rentals.

Thread Information