Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Another polaris saved! 01 SLX back from the dead.

As you know, I've been looking for a cheap1200 slx for most of the summer.
    Well.. I Finally found one.. Although it wasn't what I originally planned on getting..

http://bit.ly/16YdQHm

Have it up on Uship now.
    Hoping to get it shipped for $300 ballpark. Seems to be an attainable number based on what others have paid. It's going 560 miles.

Found a complete running 1200 swap locally w carbs and stator but no Cdi

And I picked up this ski on CL recently with a cracked cylinder that I can use as a parts donor. The Seat will obv need to be recovered and Im still without a CDI.

Didn't really want to piece something together.. But the likelihood of finding another black 01 for the cost of what this project will cost me is slim.

The seller was a really nice guy. He bought it at auction and it was missing the Cdi and motor was full of water so he parted it out.
    He put it up for $100 and if someone didn't buy it, it's next step was the dumpster.
    All of the metal items were removed for scrap. He said he would throw it all back into the hull- the steering, waterbox, etc.

My only concern is the fading of the black. I've worked wonders on skis in the past. My virage was practically pink and I brought it back to new with a wet sanding and buffing... But black is more tricky.i
    Last edited by caliburst; 10-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    The black should come back fine. We did some work on daves slx and wet sanding and buffing should do the trick.

+1
    Half a ski and she still looks good 2001 was a good year.

Sounds like the ski was used and abused. Had tau Ceti flame arrestors but all three are broken. Had v force reeds but the petals are broken. The Motor was full of water and he scrapped it. Not much value in it other than the hull itself
    Last edited by caliburst; 09-29-2013 at 03:05 PM.

The first bid was $380 on uship so that's a good sign. Only going to go down from there.

Pretty impressed with how this site works. All the skis I shipped in the past were crated and shipped via freight line. Was always around $600.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by caliburst View Post
    The first bid was $380 on uship so that's a good sign. Only going to go down from there.

Pretty impressed with how this site works. All the skis I shipped in the past were crated and shipped via freight line. Was always around $600.
    So the ski will not be crated, at all?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caliburst View Post

So the ski will not be crated, at all?
    Based on what I've seen on "shipping wars" on A&E (which is the only real knowledge I have of uship). These guys wrap them in blankets and strap them down in an enclosed trailer.

These are regular people who transport for a living or side work. It's not actual freight companies. It doesn't get shipped on a big rig in a crate and etc.

The shippers also have profiles and feedbacks. I just read up on the guy who put in the bid. It looks like he specializes in motorcycles and powersports. He's transported a couple of expensive Harleys and received good feedback.

+1
    Skis will not always be wraped in blanket, that is the blanket wrap service, depending what you put in there for terms you can get bids from anything. so i wouldnt expect it to be wraped. I also see no reason in crating a hull of a ski. that cost 100 bucks, as you said its not worth it to spend 600 dollars to ship a hull.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365117435624.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	315009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365117455967.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	315010

this is how my 99 was shipped. 150 bucks from Florida to WI

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    I see no reason in crating a hull that cost 100 bucks, as you said its not worth it to spend 600 dollars to ship a hull.
    Well that's the essence of it yes. It's a $100 hull.
    As long as it's strapped down it can be shipped in the back of a pickup truck. I don't care how it gets here.
    Last edited by caliburst; 09-29-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information