Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Any preppers out there?

To some it sounds silly. Shit even to me it sounded silly up till sandy hit last year. We had no power for OvER a week. Keep in my mind I have a wife and two daughters so estrogen is all over lol. I've watched the show PREPPERS and some people say weather related to govnt shut downs to virus out breaks could cause kayos and bad times

I hunt and shot a lot. I have guns, ammo, generators (2) , can hold 35 gallons of reserve fuel not including in all my equipment. We hold water and food for a week. I have a wood stove. I live near the base of a mountain tucked in a woods so water supply should be ok and un-polluted for me to get to.

I am not prepared for any long haul over a few weeks. I'd like to do so much more without driving myself nuts. I picked up a few books to read and plan on taking my 12 year old step daughter who I have fathered since 5 shooting. I've tried in the pSt but just can't get her to think it would be fun so I'll start small. I need to pick up better food savings and storage More water and fuel. So much more

anyone else prep at all? Again don't wanna sound looney or run this off in a political tangent to far. Just curious what anyone else thinks

Banned User
    +1
    Yoyamma is prepared for when the government comes for his guns.

3. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Take off the tin foil hat it's frying your brain obviously

yup I prep my beer fridge is full so you when you go play Rambo I can come over and play dr.

5. +1 by:

+1
    After 4 hurricanes in 14 months in So Fl in 2004. You learn to handle no water or power for a short time. But long term, no way, that is a different animal. Right now, I'm prepping my wall for paint.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Skip is correct. preparedness for short term is essential for ANYONE regardless of what you believe. Now, some people take this to extremes and build bunkers, bugout vehicles and go waaaay to far with consperacies etc. with that said, what happen will happen regardless of the situation and its best to be mentally prepared and supplied for the short term.IE a week or two at most. you will never have enough ammo, food, water or anything else for that matter that you can store in your home. What I have done is, outside of a weeks worth of supples for 3 people and a baby is hone my out doors skills. I grew up on a farm so most of this is second nature, but things like slaughtering animals for food out side of a deer, canning and dehydrating food, fire without matches, and building things with whats at hand. If i were you I would start watching Mountian Men and Wild Alaska as that is what I am shoting for in stead of that nut bag with a bunker full of guns and MRE's that will be dead in a year as that person is a target for everyone else that is looking for food. Besides, you will be self sufficient and wont need a large group of people to support you. These are the things that i am working on. those skills will take you way further than storing 6 month worth of food...and when that runs out what are you going to do. Wilderness survival is where you need to be..especially since your in PA. perfect location to be doing this from what I have read that you posted....in a holler at the base of a mountian.

8. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by devils ride 250 View Post
    ... I've watched the show PREPPERS and some people say weather related to govnt shut downs to virus out breaks could cause kayos and bad times

.... I'd like to do so much more without driving myself nuts. I picked up a few books to read ... don't wanna sound looney ...
    Be self sufficient enough to cope with reasonable durations without utility services. Storms and accidents can cut electrical power, politics not so much. Roads can be damaged or blocked by weather, of course. Normal retail food and supplies/fuel distribution depends on these things, so temporary localized shortages can occur.

Plan for the reasonably foreseeable events. Planning for extremes, is, well, extreme.

+1
    Ya I'm not talking bunkers and take over that's why I specified that. For me it's more for that power outages from winter and as if late the hurricanes. My dad lives in ocm so he was affected more then I.

+1
    [QUOTE=thatdude596;2273120]Take off the tin foil hat it's frying your brain obviously

yup I prep my beer fridge is full so you when you go play Rambo I can come over and play dr.

You wouldn't make it within 300 yards And if u did I rifle aluminum foil balls at ur head

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you don't have "go" bags with:

$200 in small bills
    3 days of water ( or purifying filter )
    3 days of food ( I like the HPS tuna myself)
    basic first aid and medical needs
    copies of id's
    handgun and ammo (if allowed by law)
    flashlights/batteries/solarcharger

you are decidedly un American and will likely be the people whining for help when a natural disaster strikes

I'm not going to list the disasters I've survived..but they were big ones of not so recent memory to some.

take a look at what happened in colordao last month.

While disaster is unlikely..who wants to be caught with pants down? and have to be begging neighbors for help.

It doesn't take a whole lot of money or space to at least be prepared.

In my garage I have three 50 gallon drums with the basics we'll want in the event of some totally unexpected issue ( oh..like a solar flare..an accidental nuke detonation at the local missile range, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and so on.) With flour, water and so on my wife and I will be eating scratch made bread while other perhaps are hoping to find some bigger crickets.

Some might say I'm a little crazy, but ask just anybody who was on manhattan island on September 11th what the most valuable thing they had was.

I'm not putting all my money on FEMA to assist if "something" happens, we've already seen multiple demonstrations of their awesome organization and deployment powers.

Lots of folks would be totally snookered say, for example, a successful cyber attack on the US knocked out 90% of telepcommunications and power.

far fetched..that's right..but what would you do?

It's never a bad ( or expensive) idea to have a family policy that at least one of your vehicles is always maintained with a full fuel tank

13. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    [QUOTE=devils ride 250;2273191]
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Take off the tin foil hat it's frying your brain obviously

You wouldn't make it within 300 yards And if u did I rifle aluminum foil balls at ur head
    No you wouldn't lets be honest

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information