Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How can I avoid ethanol fuel?

In a recent reply. The statement "Avoid Ethanol Fuel" was posted. How is this possible? I live in Southern California. I'm not aware of anyplace to get fuel that doesn't have ethanol added. If anyone knows where to get this fuel or a possible additive that will help, please advise. Thanks

+1
    in the area i live, premium does not have ethanol. its not always postd that but when asking the clerk i was informed that yes infact it was ethanol free

+1
    Sometimes ethanol is only added to the lower grade fuels. The the stations don't advertise ethanol free, you may need to contact the supplier, not the station, to verify actual fuel contents. I believe someone commented that they did so and found that premium did not contain ethanol in the particular brand....

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    before the arrival of ethanol free fuel here at Elephant Butte Lake I've always advised my customers that premium grade fuel tends to have less ethanol added to it and as a matter of money..the differential between regular and premium would add less then $200 per year to the average PWC fuel bill. You might convince the owner of a station that is convenient to your ramp to consider getting ethanol free during the season ( if that is actually legal in your state), unless they aren't real pleased with boat and jetski folks lining up to buy fuel. I got a station down by my shop to get ethanol free gas and that's pretty much what's been going on at his place. Lot more boat traffic pulls over after getting off the highway and I advise my customers to fill up there on the way to the lake. ( I'll admit it's good for me too..as I don't have to tow trailers 16 miles round trip to fill them with ethanol free gas after any kind of service.( not to mention he's the lowest price in town).

There are lots of other sources for high quality fuel, but this topic has been beaten to death over the last three years .

if you have to use ethanol fuel, make sure your tank vents are operating correctly, fill the tank after your last outing to minimize air in the tank and get the cap on quickly after refueling and make sure it's sealing. Ethanol loves to absorb water anywhere it can find some.

+1
    pure-gas.org
    Is a good site to find ethanol-free fuel.

However... looking at the map on that site... looks like CA doesn't have many. Probably some emissions laws requiring ethanol or something. Bummer.

I've read that the blue marine Stabil was a good additive to help stabilize fuel and fight ethanol effects.

Cheers!

+1
    There are test kits available as well to see what percentage of alky you have. I run 93 always and have had good luck so far.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dtescher View Post
    In a recent reply. The statement "Avoid Ethanol Fuel" was posted. How is this possible?

I live in Southern California. I'm not aware of anyplace to get fuel that doesn't have ethanol added. If anyone knows where to get this fuel or a possible additive that will help, please advise. Thanks
    The more reliable method is to actually telephone the regional or state head office or regional distribution facility for each gasoline brand in your region. The local gas station staff and store clerks may or may not have accurate information.

The refiner/distributor knows exactly what they are shipping and selling. They can tell you which octane grades have what percentage of ethanol at retail. In some cases they may be able to point you towards retail locations that specialize in non-ethanol fuel, perhaps for off road or marine uses.

If the person you are speaking with is not sure about their ethanol practices or has to go look it up, you are not yet talking with the right person

You may also learn which brands of gasoline come from which refiners and distributors, and perhaps discover a smaller scale brand that sells non-ethanol as a competitive differentiator.

These Polaris watercraft engines can cope with up to 10% ethanol in the fuel, but it makes it even more critical that you maintain and service the entire fuel system to perfection. Ethanol can make a minor fuel system problem with normal gasoline into a major issue when using ethanol blended gasoline.

Everything from internal fuel tank cleanliness to fuel filler cap sealing and fuel tank venting must be in excellent shape. Fuel line replacement schedule and carburetor rebuilds need to happen more often, just to ensure everything is good.

I didn't realize that there were so many areas of the country that still have Ethanol Free gas. I have had some issues with my 97 Reinell(boat) accumulating moisture in the fuel tank due to ethanol. Unfortunately here in So Cal ethanol free is no where to be found. Due to EPA requirements for all major metropolitan areas. All fuel has 10% Ethanol added. Looks like I'm going to have to be extra careful making sure my fuel system is in tip top shape. So far with my rebuild project I have replaced all fuel lines, rebuilt carbs and checked all venting and seals.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    smog isn't an issue for us here...and no ethanol is certainly a differentiator on where I get my fuel. Gas pricing isn't the issue. I've mentioned the 10% gain in my wife's v8 caddy..so unless the "other gas" is 30 cents a gallon cheaper, it's a no brainer on what to use. E15 got approved by the EPA a while ago, and likely found in some texas markets I believe.

Along with the Polaris CDI project, we need to look at the Seadoo flex fuel conversion, complete with ethanol sensor equipped fuel rail and full compliance.

flex fuel pretty much ends the argument..except for the extra cost..they want to sell us more fuel..not better stoves.

I wonder how they run PWC's in Brazil..which I believe is 100% ethanol run..maybe you can get gas [email protected] a price.

+1
    Around where I live, there is plenty of "country" areas just outside of the city limits. There are lots of farms and such. Still there are only a few stations around that sell Ethanol Free fuel. The farms are supposedly the reason that Ethanol Free is sold around this area. However, I heard that there was a law passed that all stations in Florida can now sell Ethanol Free.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information