Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Question A penny for your thoughts Yamaha VXR vs SeaDoo Spark

Now before anyone starts scratching their heads saying WTF and grabbing their keyboard to respond let me explain.

I had a 2009 Yamaha FZR back in 2010 for a summer before selling it. Mainly rode it on Lake Austin which is basically a local river that gets pretty busy on the weekends. Can be smooth or extremely choppy depending on the amount of traffic. I really enjoyed going out and cruising and it's been a while but I believe I normally cruised around 35ish so that I could get a decent distance from a fuel pump while exploring. Every once in a while those 68mph bursts were fun but when riding with others it didn't do much because you always had to slow down and go back around. I also hated having the supercharger and the worries of maintenance and failure.

Fast forward two years and I've recently purchased a truck again and am thinking of getting back into the PWC world. I had my eyes on a new VXR for the increased economy and reliability and figured it would be a little less boat like than the FZR. Now suddenly the Spark gets announced. I remember the days of riding the smaller SeaDoos that were easy to roll over because they were so thin. I remember the fun of skipping around almost sideways on them which seems to be lost on these more stable and heavier craft, but I do enjoy the occasional speed. The Spark obviously has the lower initial cost combined with what appears to be much better fuel economy, while sacrificing a bit of speed.

I'm really leaning towards the little Spark because I love wave jumping and think it would be much better at this. My concern is with the limitation in speed it might be much harder to catch up to boats that are underway at 35-45 MPH when you want to bounce across their wakes. My second favorite activity is just going out and cruising so I think efficiency would be the second most important thing to me. Although the VXR does seem to be pretty good at lower speeds.

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on these two skis, I know it's an apples to oranges comparison but that's why I decided to come ask you guys.

PS. After being MIA for two years it's nice to be back on the forum.

+1
    are you jumping waves or wakes? i have a buddy who jumps 8 feet in the air off of ocean waves on his vxr, so really it'll go as high as you make it. I also think the vxr would be a more comfortable cruiser, they do make the vx cruiser which is the same hull.

on the contrary, the vxr stays glued to the water, you wont be able to slide like a spark. and dont worry about catching boats, i hit plenty of wakes with my 50mph polaris.

i'd say the vxr mostly cause im partial to yamaha, but honestly it gets great air and lands smoothly and if you buy the spark, eventually its seems like you wish you had that extra 20mph that the vxr will give you. no wonder i bought a gp1300 a few months after my polaris

3. +1 by:

+1
    Josh I'd at least wait until the Spark is out so you could test ride one. I'm sure the rental companies will start getting them in droves. You know what the VXR is all about. Can you wait???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rooster View Post
    Josh I'd at least wait until the Spark is out so you could test ride one. I'm sure the rental companies will start getting them in droves. You know what the VXR is all about. Can you wait???
    I agree, test drive them both, not sure if rental places will start to pick them up though, i bet they'll stay with vx sports.

a good dealer with waterfront will let you test drive a ski.

+1
    CJ I should have clarified, I never go offshore so it's only jumping wakes which the FZR really wasn't cut out for. Not sure if the VXR would have much different results, but that's why I wanted to get you guys input.

Rooster I can definitely wait and you bring up a good point. I'm just trying to start collecting some information and points of view now. I figure I will purchase before next season but by that time I should have probably about a 50% down payment on a VXR or almost 100% cash for the Spark.

+1
    If the Spark proves to be reliable, it'll be the rental ski of the future.

8. +1 by:

+1
    I would rather have a VXR than a spark. The Spark is an affordable ski, but the VXR has a lot more hp, which adds to the fun factor. I like arm wrenching acceleration more than wake jumping, thats why I got my 300x. you may rather jump waves though. The spark is very affordable, but if you are willing to spend the money, then the VXR is probably a better choice. I don't know much about the spark, though, I'd test ride them both and see which one you like best.

10. +1 by:

+1
    I say the same, test ride it. Also wait for it to be out and see what reviews it recieves from owners. You get what you pay for, i think its a great idea what seadoo has done as far as offering such a low price for a entry level ski. In my book Low price equals low quality for most of the time. So if it was me ill just wait it out and see what comes out of it. I never buy things the first year they come out their is always some bug to fix.

Im interested in purchasing one myself but ill do the wait.

+1
    Nothing against Seadoo, but it sounds like the Yamaha would fit your bill with no SC, good fuel economy, speed versatility and stability in chop. The Spark sounds like a great idea, but if you're already used to the speed of a FZR, it would seem slow.

13. +1 by:

+1
    yeah but the Spark is SOOO lightweight, it'll probably accelerate pretty nicely with the 90 horsepower 4 stroke. The Spark is supposed to weigh 400 pounds. My '97 GP1200 (135 HP) is supposed to weigh 525 pounds. A GPR1200 (155 HP) weighs somewhere in the 670 pound range, right? On paper, the Spark is in the ballpark with the power to weight ratio. Certainly not FZR fast but...
    And the 50 something MPH top speed is considerably lower.
    But like everyone says, it comes down to the test ride and what you want. It seems like the Spark would be more playful but possibly beat you up in the chop. And bigger VXR will be faster overall, probably more comfortable, and probably more stable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information