Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Limited top end, Everything seems fine

I recently bought an 02 turbo and everything is great on it except it maxes at ~51 mph and 5300 rpm. Here's what I've checked so far.
    1. Took off intake and verified turbo spins freely.
    2. hooked up pressurized air to waste gate and confirmed its working properly.
    3. Did the blow test on the wast gate solenoid and it lets air through when energized.
    4. Disconnected the waste gate solenoid to see if I'd get overboost alarm and I did not. its like the ski is limiting itself to 5300 RPM. Runs great up to that limit, and just stops. Disconnectign the solenoid didn't seem to have any effect.

I did find it was overfilled with oil. About a quart too much. I pumped out but still have the problem. What should I check next?

Thanks!

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    the wastegate solonoid is bad only allowing 5-7lb of boost..................do the nitro test on it to conferm

+1
    That's what I thought, but it passed the nitro test. When the engine is off, no air goes through. When the engine is in idle it flutters and air goes through. Last time I rode I disconnected it and left the hose open to the atmosphere. I thought that should cause the turbo to overboost because the wastegate won't open, correct? I opened and closed off the hose manually as I hit full throttle and didn't notice any change.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    The waste gate could not be seating all the way closed or the turbo compressor or exhaust turbin could be damaged.....also might want to try a set of plugs if you haven't already

+1
    Good things to check. I'll start with Plugs as it's likely a good thing to start fresh with anyhow. I believe NGK IMR9D-9H is the right one. I also wonder if the overfilling of oil could have fouled them. The ski is an hour away so I'll check when I go to ride next weekend.
    Checking the throw of the WG I didn't think of. It seems to really get up and go from standing still but I don't have a good frame of reference.
    Not against buying another WGS, but I did plumb a line to the input side of the solenoid. I alternated plugging it and leaving it open and it didn't get me anywhere. That leads me to believe the problem is elsewhere. I'll be back after the weekend to report back. Thanks for the replies!

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    If it doesn't over boost with reference line gone from waste gate then there is something else wrong......try the plugs first, then inspect the turbo assy. may need to pull cart rage and inspect it. The turbo and waste gate are sold as. Piece and is well over 3k

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Turbo is sold as one piece and is expensive

+1
    Check the shaft of the wastegate that goes into the turbine housing. Mine was stuck exactly like yours and gave me so much [email protected] I can tell you now even if your compressor wheel is damaged it will have no problem to boost 14 psi+. I had 3 big chips in my compressor wheel and it still boosted 16 psi.

+1
    I can get my turbo completly rebuild in South Africa for 300 us. That is with journal bearings and not ceramic ball bearings.

+1
    Hey guys, just an update on this thread. I went to try some things on the ski and it started throwing an F1 code 25 which is the knock sensor. first only after a long run, now right away as soon as I put on any throttle. I decided it was time to take it apart and see what I had. Tore down to the turbo and this is what I have. A little rough cosmetically, but everything turns and runs fine, including the waste gate and actuator

So now i'm left with the knock issue which is either the sensor or the ECM. I ordered a sensor and am praying to every deity I know. Seems ECMs are up close to a grand now. That'll kill me if I have to get another not knowing what or why this one died. If I could get to it I'd just fix the board, but its encased in electronic epoxy. Anyhow no sense worrying unless the sensor doesn't do the trick.
    My question is, could a failing knock sensor or ecm have caused my limited top end? Does the ECM adjust timing based on knock and maybe was screwing it up because it thought there was a knock that wasn't there? Or is it just an on or off control?
    Thx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information