Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Head Gasket Issues

On the high horsepower, high RPM motors, what is it you guys are finding it takes to keep head gaskets in these motors. ARP studs, special head gaskets, over torquing???....

The boats in question are running in the 15 psi range and about 8800 RPM.

I saw two skis develop issues in the same weekend. In the race cars, it is common to have the heads lifting off the block under power. Often the only cure is upping the head bold size or pulling out power.

Andy

3. +1 by:

+1
    Staying off the limiter, open loop cooling, and OEM head gaskets help. I also use OEM head bolts, and a block guard, and make sure the head is surfaced / Flat every time it is off.

My sig shows my mods

5. +1 by:

+1
    I had the ARP studs and OEM head gasket installed when mine let go. I was told that the ride plate can't keep temps down when I was running it hard. I went with a 30 plate heat exchanger to keep the closed loop cooling system. All OK on my ski so far.

If you stay closed loop cooling, you can catch issues starting by looking at the coolant catch tank. With open loop cooling, do you perform lots of compression tests to verify that the head gasket is still intact?

Andy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    With open loop cooling, do you perform lots of compression tests to verify that the head gasket is still intact?

Andy
    With open loop, if your afr sensor goes to shit, thats when you need to look into the head gasket possibly being blown.

+1
    A Head gasket have many different signs, you can have a blown head gasket and have perfect compression, It all depends On where the Gasket lets go . I have seen and Changed more head gaskets in the automotive field in low mileage motors that sit for long periods of time and then go through a duty cycle every few months instead of once to three Times a day. So that little old lady that has 10,000 miles on a 15 year old car is a pile internally..

To Get back to Andy's Question I think when we start pushing these things to limits with Higher boost and compression it's the chance we Take in Racing. I don't think there is one thing that is a help to our motors (when we push these things to there absolute limits) and personaly in my opinion the block guards are a joke!

+1
    Andy, IMO that the main reason for head gasket failure is detonation, not boost
    I will bet the stock setup will take 25psi with out a problem (no deto)
    in the auto world they are/were trying new long life antifreeze crap
    and seems like they got a lot of gasket problems are from that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    On the high horsepower, high RPM motors, what is it you guys are finding it takes to keep head gaskets in these motors. ARP studs, special head gaskets, over torquing???....

The boats in question are running in the 15 psi range and about 8800 RPM.

I saw two skis develop issues in the same weekend. In the race cars, it is common to have the heads lifting off the block under power. Often the only cure is upping the head bold size or pulling out power.

Andy
    Hey andy i run 16psi turbo at 8100 no issues with gasket i replaced it because i thought it was bad after my ski sank (long story), i did get arp stub bolts wont trust stock bolts for peace of mind and torqued to 85 after a few heat cycles confirmed 85 and 10 hours later am still happy.

+1
    On my setup I believe I would be able to see something in my egt logs if I lost a head gasket. I'm not running big boost yet though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information