Polaris Virage I won't start

I have a 2004 Polaris Virage I with just over 100hrs on it. I rode it, got off of it and then 10 minutes later it wouldn't start, just cranks and doesn't fire. I have since tried new spark plugs (PZFR6H) and can see that it has good spark. Compression test showed 150psi in each cylinder. Fuel pressure was next to zero so I have now replaced the fuel pump with a new one from Polaris and now have good fuel pressure but still doesn't start. I also at one point thought it could be the EMM so I sent that to DFI technologies and they tested it and said nothing is wrong with it. The only way I can get it to fire is to put a little gas in the cylinders or spray some starting fluid in the air box but then it dies when that burns off. Any ideas as to what could be preventing it from starting/running or what I should try next?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    welcome abord GH.

nice to se you've done the homework.

well perhaps went off to dfi a little soon...

most likely your injectors aren't getting proper voltage..good spark and fuel pressure point that way

what was the measured fuel pressure?

should be 25V give or take when cranking on the injector power...

check the stator out... good info in the signature links for troubleshooting Polaris injection systems

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ... most likely your injectors aren't getting proper voltage..good spark and fuel pressure point that way

Fuel Injector voltage on White/Red wire should be 25 Volts give or take when cranking ...

check the stator out... good info in the signature links for troubleshooting Polaris injection systems
    Welcome

Find a place to tap into the White/Red wires (any White/Red wire) and measure the fuel injector voltage relative to ground.

While cranking the injectors need over 20 volts or they will not deliver any fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ... most likely your injectors aren't getting proper voltage..good spark and fuel pressure point that way

Fuel Injector voltage on White/Red wire should be 25 Volts give or take when cranking ...

Welcome

Find a place to tap into the White/Red wires (any White/Red wire) and measure the fuel injector voltage relative to ground.

While cranking the injectors need over 20 volts or they will not deliver any fuel.
    Power to the injectors is good. Is it possible that from when the fuel pump was bad and it wasn't getting enough fuel and then trying to crank on it for a while that it could have gotten to much oil injected in and that it is now essentially flooded with oil?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Take the spark plugs out, ground them somewhere.

Crank the engine. If oil spews or sprays out of the spark plug holes, there is definitely too much oil in the engine.

If the spark plug tips are coated in oil, that is not right either.

Usually excessive oil just causes a lot of exhaust smoke and rough running once the engine gets started.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    it takes either no gas at all or way too much of everything else to keep a di engine from starting..if there is THAT much oil down there you would have hydrolocked the engine by now.

carful with exposed plugs, they can give you an extra large headache if you get in the way of the spark. The original taser mind you.

clean up the plugs, add half an oz of fuel per cylinder and try to crank her over.. DO NOT go overboard wit the gas or even think of using starter fluid.

maintain a safe workspace during all of this..it's easy for things to get out of hand in a hurry if you don't stay focused.

I have had my fair share of close calls, as carful as I typically am.

So with a little gas and some clean plugs the engine should spin over and cough a few times..if you are really really lucky..the engine will start, cough and stumble..then run.

Did we cover water in the gas as a possible?..no we didn't..just the replaced fuel pump..so if there was watery ethanol goop in the tank...maybe a way of getting the rest of it out of the lines is what your're needing.

If she doesn't start after the third prime up..give it up and go back to finding out why the fuel isn't getting there. Priming the engine will confirm good spark timing and compression

Thread Information