Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
    +1

Arrow MS/AL barrier island ride discussion

We did a little chatting Saturday during our Biloxi Bay ride about other areas to hit. We know the Bay St. Louis area is one but I also want to plan a ride to all the barrier islands. Anyone interested? Chuck, Rooster, Billy, Ziggy?

Timing will depend on finding a low sea on a Saturday...thinking 1 foot or less which is best case. Probably next Spring but want to get a route planned now and see who's interested.

This would be ~150 miles, approximate route in red, fuel at yellow arrows. This route feasible? Other fuel stops I'm not showing? I think the loop inland on the AL side would make for a nice change of scenery for a ride of this length. Longest distance between fuel will be around 70 miles. Could launch in Gulfport, Biloxi, or Ocean Springs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS sound barrier islands.JPG 
Views:	775 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	315139

+1
    I would be apprehensive about making this trip purely based on my Cat/Ship Island trip last summer. Obviously the wind was against us, but it did go from "manageable" to "totally unfun" in a very short time. I'm not saying I would not make the trip, but... it'd sure be easier to live there and take advantage of the rare, glassy days.

I'd think launching from the center would be best - easier to bail out back to the truck if the weather went south.

One other point - and I don't think this has been determined yet. The NPS was doing an Environmental Impact Study regarding PWCs within the Gulf Islands National Seashore park. I don't rem. when the study would be complete or any rules made based on the EIS but I seem to rem. that May, 2014 may have been the date. As a matter of fact, you cannot even access the NP web pages at this time b/c of the Gub'ment Shutdown... The last I read, PWCs were allowed within the park, but there are certain "distance from" and "NWZ" policies.

www.nps.gov/guis/‎

+1
    "That's a big 10-4 good buddy". Yeah, I have no desire to make the trip except for on one of those rare days. My skis don't handle chop as well as the deep V's, so my thinking was map a route that works and when the forecast is looking good on a Thursday, we make plans to do it on a Saturday.

Center is a good idea...that would be where the Pascagoula enters the sound. There's Mary Walker Marina with gas (yellow arrow at center) and also Tuciei's Fish Camp a stone throw away from highway 90...$5 to launch.

So you're saying the rules could change after May? So if a good day hits in January, we ride?

+1
    Like today and tomorrow...without the storm chance. It was forecast as 2-3 Saturday, which would be about right for what we saw between the 90 bridge and the fuel stop.

REST OF TODAY
    SOUTHEAST WINDS NEAR 10 KNOTS. WAVES 1 FOOT OR
    LESS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

TONIGHT
    SOUTHEAST WINDS NEAR 10 KNOTS. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.
    CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

WEDNESDAY
    EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.
    CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
    SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. WAVES 1 FOOT
    OR LESS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.ph...532&syn=gmz500

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Donkey View Post
    "That's a big 10-4 good buddy". Yeah, I have no desire to make the trip except for on one of those rare days. My skis don't handle chop as well as the deep V's, so my thinking was map a route that works and when the forecast is looking good on a Thursday, we make plans to do it on a Saturday.

Center is a good idea...that would be where the Pascagoula enters the sound. There's Mary Walker Marina with gas (yellow arrow at center) and also Tuciei's Fish Camp a stone throw away from highway 90...$5 to launch.

So you're saying the rules could change after May? So if a good day hits in January, we ride?
    I could be interested, but not in January !!! You k now, shrinkage and all that !!!

+1
    As far as going, anything is possible, but like Cliff said - it'll be tough prob. in January. My guess the best time to go would be early fall, about 1 to 2 days after a weak front pushes through. You know, bluebird skies w/hard sunshine and not a puff of air moving. Classic football weather as I always think of it. Pretty much Oct & Nov., but I don't have a weekend available for the next 4 weekends...

Theodore, Alabama (Home) Shelbyville, KY (Work)
    +1
    Nice route. Most of that I have ridden at one time or another. Actually, if you follow the islands you are not really that far offshore as you probably know already.

I have ridden to Gautier and back with Sheri as a passenger and had no real issues of fuel when we left from Fowl River. Of course that is a slow cruise speed of my usual pace.

Early spring or fall would be best considering we would want a "northerly" wind. If the wind should pick up you could ride in the wind shadow of the coast.
    Calm days do happen, but it is always a shot from the hip trying to set a date.

I will be out of town at least until mid October (N. Dakota)(yuk), but who knows. I will be watching for a chance to ride. BTW, I do have a boat too should we need a chase boat...lol

Theodore, Alabama (Home) Shelbyville, KY (Work)
    +1
    My honest opinion is that is a ride without much to look at as far as scenery goes. Lots and lots of water.
    We have been to Horn Island and back several times leaving from Bayou LaBatre. Lots of water...lots
    Time wise it is not that long. Watch the GPS/Compass and the water.

+1
    After going to the Bahamas--Dang! Did I bring that up again???--I ain't askeert of no itty bitty chop. And I love riding with you guys! So I'm in. However, I am still waiting on a part. Yup, the ski is still in the shop. Hopefully this is the last part and it should be here by the 11th.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by maxadrenaline View Post

I will be out of town at least until mid October (N. Dakota)(yuk), but who knows. I will be watching for a chance to ride. BTW, I do have a boat too should we need a chase boat...lol
    Yeah, I'm booked up the next 3 weekends as well...Oct. 26 is my first free weekend so we'll see if we get a decent day starting then thru November. If not, we'll wait for it to warm up in the Spring.

In the meantime, I'll try my hand at playing Billy Boy and map it on GPS software. I'll wear my goggles to get the full effect. LOL. Billy, I got in trouble from the wife for making fun of your gear.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information