+1

ERROR - Both 12 volt high and 12 volt low errors plus P0562 code

Here is my story. It is the last nice day in CT until next year. I rode my ski for about an hour until problems hit. At the launch it started very hard and appeared to be slow to turn over, but it did start. It idled fine with no errors so I rode off. I alternated between all RPMs but mostly rode at around 5500 to 6000. I pulled into a marina for fuel and after topping off I rode off. I pressed my start key and the engine turned over once and then stopped. I pushed the starter again and again it was slow to turn over but it did start. I idled out of the marina at around 2500 RPM (not idle but light throttle) and when I began to get on plane the ski started flashing the P0562 error code with a low 12 volt error. It then flashed a high 12 volt error with the same P0562 error code. I turned around could feel that the ski was not running smooth at 3000+ RPM. I made it back into the marina keeping a slight bit of throttle applied, appx 2500 RPM. During the 3-5 minute ride through the no wake zone the ski continued to alternate between the 12 volt high and low errors, with the low error being more prevalent, roughly 2/3 of the errors were low. When I got to the dock I opened up the ski and searched this forum on my phone. I started it again and got the errors again. I looked inside and saw nothing. I shut it off and when I restarted it, I saw sparks which I believe came from the positive battery terminal, and then it went dead.

Prior to heading out I did have it on a YUASA 1.5 amp battery tender two days prior and the tender indicated a full charge and was floating the battery.

When I got home I connected my key to it and heard the fuel pump turn on. I stood over the ski and looked at the battery. I pressed start and the ski started and idled for a few seconds before a low 12 volt error came on. When I was starting the engine I saw a small puff of smoke come from the positive battery terminal. My battery was replaced 3 seasons ago and is an AGM battery called Extreme Magna Power Sports and I got it from Advance Auto. I disconnected the battery and took it out. I checked the battery outside of the ski it read 12.9 volts. I put it back in and inside the ski and off it read 12.7 volts. I turned it on and the meter read 14.1 volts. I revved it to over 3K rpm and still the battery connections read 14.1 volts. It did not give me an error after I put it back in.

I saw different posts for people talking about 12 volt low errors, and others for 12 volt high errors, but for both? Some talk about regulators and others for the stator. I have the manual for my 06 RXT and will check that. But I thought this would be a good place to start. 174 hours and not too many problems on the ski. Thankfully I wasn't on a Block Island run...... Suggestions..... Go!

P.S. I am racing to the launch to put it in the water to test it.
    Last edited by govenatorx; 10-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.

+1
    UPDATE! I just went to the launch. When I started the ski it was not slow to turn over. I ran WOT for about 1/2 mile for 4 legs and the ski did not post any errors. It ran like a top. I am baffled.

+1
    It sounds like your positive battery cable was loose and you fixed it when you put the battery back in.

4. +1 by:

+1
    no that cant be it...too simple
    take out the stator it must be bad....
    got to love it when you fix it and don't how you did it
    there should never be any sparks or smoke from a battery

+1
    I have a difficult time believing the cable was loose and I really didn't pay too close attention when I unscrewed the bolt from the battery to remove the positive cable. I did leave the battery in the ski during the winter for the last two years while it was garaged and hooked up to the float charger. It is possible that I could have fixed it by tightening the screw. But with my luck it just won't work out that way.... Could the loose cable cause the alternating low and high voltage issues?

Alternating high and low faults are a classic sign of a loose power connection. Sparks at a battery terminal are another sign, unless the sparks come from you mechanically shorting against the opposite polarity.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    magic smoke coming from the battery is a sign of a real problem, but since after tightening the connection no error codes, the real problem was the battery cable was loose. The regulators need a reference voltage which is read off battery voltage..if the cable is loose..just imagine what happens...

sorta like a gal that wants to park at the overlook..then spend the evening throwing rocks down the cliff.

+1
    I am going out again now. I am pretty embarrassed about missing the loose cable, but at the same time, every dog has its day..... Will keep you posted.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    well in the realm of embarrassment. A member a few months ago got everybody in a bit of a snit troubleshooting a no-start issue..turns out..right..that's absolutelright you guessed it..the gas was still turned OFF.

loose cable in the bowels of the ski..somewhat excusable, unless you got the x-ray vision

+1
    I went out last night and the ski ran very well. No voltage issues. Thank you to everyone for their help.

Thread Information