Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Looking for input on what trails to ride in Florida

Beginning to plan a tour of Florida with PWC's in tow. It would take weeks to ride them all so I want to pick 4 or 5 of the best ones. My preference is smooth water and scenic, but I don't mind hitting the unprotected water to tour a place like the Keyes.

I've pin pointed the locations of the trails on the peninsula from pwctrailfinder.com but I'm also open to blazing new trails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FL PWC trails.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	315250

I think the Peace River should be added to the list, at least for consideration. I love riding it. At least replace Lovers Key with the Peace, no offense to the LK riders, i've been there many times, its scenic, but shallow and I think other area's have than LK has to offer.

The Peace and the K are my favorite rivers, but I haven't done the St John's yet myself, hear its great !

+1
    The last few miles of the Peace River is part of the "Lower Myakka River to Lower Peace River" trail. Here's a screen shot of that portion. I take it you ride much further up the Peace? Thanks for the input, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peace River lower.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	315335

+1
    By far the Suwannee river is a must. The Suwannee river is fed by nearly 200 springs, the highest concentration in the world. Water is like glass. If you are going up river from the camp ground after you pass a bridge keep a look out for a 10' opening in the trees on the right. About a 100' back it opens up to about a 100' by 100' area that is fed from a natural spring of clear cold water. You can see the opening where the water is coming out about 12' down in the rock. Great place to kick back and have a beer.
    http://www.yellowjacketrvresort.com/

North end of 10000 islands down by Marco. Put in at goodland and ride the mangroves. Awesome

+1
    Thumbs up on the Suwanee but be very very careful picking the right time. Sturgeons are jumping during summer time and there are always serious accidents. Have a 50lbs fish with bones for skin hit you at 40mph or faster and you won't look pretty. Personally I would not speed on the Suwanee May through October. Do your research, otherwise one of the best places to ride as mentioned above.

Don't take this lightly.
    http://jacksonville.com/news/florida...tate-officials

+1
    I have ridden the Suwannee many time in the last 10 years and it has become more frequent in recent years with the Sturgeon so the winter months are the best. We usually start at Yellow Jacket campground and head up river, depending on if you want to bring fuel you can ride over 50 miles up river before you hit areas of rocks which is just above Troy Springs before you get up to Royal Springs. From the campground you would pass Manatee, Fanning, copper, sun, hart, rock bluffs and guaranto springs before the Santa fe river which incorporated Ichetucknee springs. Above the Santa fe would be 3 sisters, Troy (my favorite) and Royal springs. Most of these springs you can pull into and dock up and swim in the crystal clear water. If you do ride during the summer months I would suggest a thick pair of gloves as your hands are the most vulnerable to the fish on a ski. There is only a couple of places I know to refuel, one is Sandy Point Motel and Campground on the Santa fe (not always available in winter) and the other is a gas station near the boat ramp at Branford, FL. Have a great time in FL

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aflax24 View Post
    North end of 10000 islands down by Marco. Put in at goodland and ride the mangroves. Awesome
    Would you be willing to lead a group on a tour of this area sometime? I stop at Marco on sales calls now all the time and would love to learn my way around the waters there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mirror View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aflax24 View Post
    Would you be willing to lead a group on a tour of this area sometime? I stop at Marco on sales calls now all the time and would love to learn my way around the waters there.
    If not check out pwctrailfinder.com...FL is covered pretty well with rides complete with GPS trials to download thanks to members of this site and jetskijunkie FL chapter. If you don't have a GPS, you can print paper maps and use your phone as a backup if necessary.

+1
    Thanks for all the input thus far guys...and the warning about sturgeons. Wouldn't have known. There are many areas near me off the Mississippi River that would make good rides but Asian (silver) carp would make it dangerous. Check out youtube videos to see what I mean. They jump out of the water when an outboard is near. I've take one to the leg. Never tested with a PWC but if I did I'd wear a full face helmet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information