Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User

2002 virage txi have a mistery on my hands

2002 virage txi 1200 tach reed when turning over about 150 rpm on full charged battery its turning really about 300 rmp. I replave the cps with know good one same rpm, i remove the cps and turn it over still shows about 150 rpm with it in or out. emm works fine place in other ski, stator checks out oms and voltage, bypass the mfd, the lr503, and the tps nothing all the same and the rpm still reed the same.. were is the problem i am having.. and yes it wont start no fuel or spark, emm not reading enough rpm to start. my question is were am i getting the mystery rpm reading from when the cps not plug in.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Unplug the 8-pin connector from EMM. Also unplug the CPS. Does the mystery RPM reading during cranking now stay at zero?

Have you removed and cleaned the battery ground connection at the engine?

Is the original black solenoid with metal back still installed? These are known to go bad.

What is the service history on this machine?

Could the flywheel be damaged or loose?

Remove the jet pump and drive shaft. Does it now crank faster?

Check the parts involved in cranking the engine. Starter, Bendix, flywheel, stator.

Banned User
    if i unplug the 8 pin connector it will not wake up the display no rpm. I manual wake up the display and no rpm when i crank it now.
    it is cranking about 300 rpm the cps has a mystery short have ohm the cps wires from sensor to the emm all seem fine. there was no stuff at the end of the cps sensor all looks clean in the stator but have not removed it but it check out fine ohm and voltage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chc3 View Post
    if i unplug the 8 pin connector it will not wake up the display no rpm. I manual wake up the display and no rpm when i crank it now.
    it is cranking about 300 rpm

the cps has a mystery short
    have ohm the cps wires from sensor to the emm all seem fine.

there was no stuff at the end of the cps sensor all looks clean in the stator but have not removed it but it check out fine ohm and voltage.
    What is shorted?

Is the engine actually cranking at normal starter cranking speed, regardless of what the display shows?

Banned User
    engine is cranking at normal starting speed i can remove the cps and it shows 150 rpm on the display like it is cranking its starts at 0 and press the start botton and it will go from 0 to 40 to 80 to 100 to 150 like there is a cps there but it is unplug it a mystery to me, if it is plug in it shows the same. if I unplug the cps in my other ski I get 0 when cranking and 300 when plug in.

+1
    The RPM signal for the display comes from the EMM. If the EMM is confused or bad I suppose the tachometer signal from the EMM could be incorrect.

Banned User
    I plug the emm in to other ski every thing is fine start and runs perfect 300 rpm when cranking. I have disconnected the display and used the jump wire still won't start

+1
    I plug the emm in to other ski every thing is fine start and runs perfect 300 rpm when cranking. I have disconnected the display and used the jump wire still won't start
    If EMM is good, then something connected to the EMM is not right.

What is the injector voltage on Red/White wire, with all injectors plugged in? If it is not over 20 volts while cranking, and the EMM is good, then the stator AC feed is probably weak. Check the stator coil ohms and AC voltages while cranking.

Rare, but sometimes the large capacitor goes bad or the wire connections to the capacitor get loose.

Banned User
    no power to the injecters emm will not start fuel pump or injectors unless rpm are higher at 150 rpm not fast enough to engauge. the stator check out ohm and voltage.. 7 7 5 5 5v none of the wires are grounded and ohm perfect. ski was running perfect one day the next day nothing. capacitor has nothing to do with the cps mystery rpm i am haveing

+1
    engine is cranking at normal starting speed ...
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The RPM signal for the display comes from the EMM. If the EMM is confused or bad I suppose the tachometer signal from the EMM could be incorrect.
    no power to the injecters
    emm will not start fuel pump or injectors unless rpm are higher at 150 rpm not fast enough to engage.

the stator check out ohm and voltage.. 7 7 5 5 5v none of the wires are grounded and ohm perfect.

ski was running perfect one day the next day nothing.

capacitor has nothing to do with the cps mystery rpm i am having
    The engine is physically cranking at normal RPM, correct?

So when you talk about low RPM you are referring to the displayed numbers on the tachometer, not the actual engine crank speed, correct?

The capacitor is a voltage stabilizer for the EMM's 45 volt DC output. If the capacitor is bad or shorting then the DC power feed to the EMM would not be correct. The EMM computer section is essentially not powered by the 12 volt battery power, it is powered from the 45 volt feed. As I recall, the 12 volt battery power is not connected to the EMM 40-pin connector at all.

When the engine cranks, the stator AC voltage feeds into the EMM power section via the 12-pin connector. The EMM power section rectifies and regulates the 20+ volt output on the 8-pin connector feeding the Red/White wires, which then loops around and feeds back into the EMM on the big 40-pin connector.

At the 40-pin connector, pins 32 and 33 are White/Red. Also pin-7 is White/Red linked through the 4-pin diagnostic connector. Check all these connectors and wires for corrosion or damage.

It sounds like the weak voltage on Red/White is confusing the EMM. Perhaps a corroded or bad wire harness connector, wire connection or splice, or a poor ground.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information