Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

to ride or not to ride?

So I forgot that some batteries require maintenance, I keep my ski on a tender all the time with the factory battery and one day it would not crank. I pulled the battery and popped off a cell cap and it was bone dry. I proceeded to dump some distilled water in it then put it back in the ski, it barely cranked this time and it was fine on the next crank. I'll be ordering a odyssey battery soon but it won't be here in time for the weekend, the tender will not bring the battery up past 12.4 volts on the dash. I just bought a wakeboard and kind of wanted to try it out, I will be cranking the jet ski a few times while I'm out so I'm worred I might become stranded. Any suggestions?

+1
    My factory battery had similiar issue...took it out anyway...stalled 20' from dock...get a new one....dont risk it..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    My factory battery had similiar issue...took it out anyway...stalled 20' from dock...get a new one....dont risk it..
    In the event that you stall out in the water is there anything special you have to do before getting towed in?

I had the same thing happen. I no longer leave my PWC batteries on a battery tender 100% of the time, I use a timer and only let it run for 1-2 hours a day. I also check the water level often!
    Last edited by god2dman; 10-03-2013 at 01:29 PM.

+1
    You don't need to wait for a battery, just call around and find a local auto parts store with a sealed AGM for your model ski. They will even install it for you in the parking lot, done, hit the water.

i wouldn't risk it. nothing sucks more than being stuck.

every week i throw mine on the charger just to juice it up. i burned 2 batteries (on two skis) thinking that keeping them on the battery tender was a good idea....

+1
    Just installed a odyssey PC625-P, reads 13 volts on the dash. Should I put this one on the tinder or ditch that thing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramabeats View Post
    Just installed a odyssey PC625-P, reads 13 volts on the dash. Should I put this one on the tinder or ditch that thing?
    Neither.... The battery is fine. As long as it starts it will be fine. Start and go ride for a few minutes and it will charge up to 14 volts in no time. Just do a double check before leaving home it will crank. If it cranks you are golden......

+1
    I use a trickle charger once in a while over the winter but during the season i just let them sit for the few days between rides.

back to your towing question, nothing to do except stay under 5mph. some say you can force water up into your engine and damage it if your going to fast

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dramabeats View Post
    Neither.... The battery is fine. As long as it starts it will be fine. Start and go ride for a few minutes and it will charge up to 14 volts in no time. Just do a double check before leaving home it will crank. If it cranks you are golden......
    Just because it'll start on the hose doesn't mean it'll start in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    I use a trickle charger once in a while over the winter but during the season i just let them sit for the few days between rides.

back to your towing question, nothing to do except stay under 5mph. some say you can force water up into your engine and damage it if your going to fast
    sometimes I can go up to a month between rides or more during winter time, that could almost kill the stocker. It's on float right now, what does float exactly do? should I leave it plugged in?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information