Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Polaris Virage 700 carb twin with no spark

I have been trying to do some searching but have not really came up with much. My 2001 Virage suddenly quit firing. Long story really...crack in hull and kids almost sank it. It had water up to the carb. Now it will not fire. Where do I start?
    Rob

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Lanyard in place?

Very first thing to check is battery voltage while cranking. Battery must be very strong or engine will not have spark. Voltage must stay above 10.6 volts while cranking, measured with a multi-meter.

Disconnect battery, open electrical box. Should be dry inside, zero moisture and zero corrosion.

Find the stator cable connector part way along the stator cable bundle. Unplug the connector pair and inspect for moisture or corrosion. There should be a smearing of clear dielectric grease but no water inside the connector.

If electrical box and wiring is good, then inspect flywheel housing. Remove inspection cap, crank engine. Should be no signs of water spray or dampness. If necessary remove the flywheel housing front cover for a more thorough inspection.

Ok sorry for the quick post...someone was waiting on me. Let me give more info. Lanyard is in place and display shows unlocked. It cranks over but no fire to the plugs. I have put the battery charger on it for overnight and it cranks fast like always but I have not checked the voltage. I remember having a no fire problem last year when the kids flooded it and ran the battery down. I'll check that.
    I have opened up the electrical box and it has no moisture. I checked the fuses and they are all good and and the circuit breaker is not tripped. I also took off the front flywheel housing and there seems to be no water in there either. I should also mention that they bilaged out the water and it started...they drover around the dock and put it on the lift. After that is when it would not start. I found the crack etc and now it is out of the water and in the garage.
    So sorry for that long post but I wanted to give more info anyway. I'll check the voltage when cranking but I don't think that is the problem this time. I was even trying things while the battery charger was on the battery.
    Oh yeah I checked that connection too and it looked fine with no moisture in it. The ski has very low hours for the year.
    I have read about something with a brown wire but never for sure if it pertians to my year. Oh yeah and after re-reading the heading it sounds like I have twin carbs but it is a single carb with twin cylinders.
    I'm pretty handy with stuff but new to this Polaris.
    Any help would be so appreciated. After I know I can get it running then comes the fun part of trying to repair the hull crack. It is the SBT hull or whatever.
    Rob
    Last edited by fritcr; 10-04-2013 at 03:37 PM.

OH my gosh! I just clicked on the link in your profile K447 and poked around in the knowledge papers for ignition system for my ski. I have lots to work with now. Also...I'm thinking we have both plug wires off now when "testing" for spark with a car spark tester. I see that then neither will fire. I'll make sure on that.
    Of course any other ideas or known problems would be great but now I see that the brown wire needs 8 volts etc and how to check of the other things on it.
    Thanks so much for all of the hard work it must have taken to get all of that info together!
    Rob

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fritcr View Post
    OH my gosh! I just clicked on the link in your profile K447 and poked around in the knowledge papers for ignition system for my ski. I have lots to work with now...
    You would be amazed how many people never actually click on my signature links and go look in there!

Hoping to look at it more this weekend. I'll try to read more and some better trouble shooting. I'll post what I find.
    Thanks again for helping me!
    Rob

Hoping to look at it more this weekend. I'll try to read more and some better trouble shooting. I'll post what I find.
    Thanks again for helping me!
    Rob
    Ok I'm back for more help with my Virage. I started by checking the voltage when cranking at the battery and it is 10.76ish. Never dropped below 10.7. Then for testing I put the battery charger on it from this point. Also, the second spark plug was on the plug. Also tested by taking both plugs out and grounding them to the head. No spark like that either. I tested the wire for the laynard and it is good/not grounding. All of the wires look good in the electrical box and not wet or corroded. All fuses test good. I checked the brown wire coming from the stator in that wiring harness and there is no voltage on that wire. I read it should have 8 volts. I get none so I assume that means there is something wrong in the flywheel/stator or whatever that is called?
    Thanks again for the help!
    Rob

+1
    ... I checked the brown wire coming from the stator in that wiring harness and there is no voltage on that wire. I read it should have 8 volts. I get none so I assume that means there is something wrong in the flywheel/stator or whatever that is called?
    Thanks again for the help!
    Rob
    Brown wire voltage comes from the CDI and feeds to the stator. To check voltage put your red meter probe onto the Brown wire coming from the CDI, Black probe to ground.

Hold down the Bilge button to force CDI to power up.

Ok I did do that except for the holding down the bilage button. I didn't see that anywhere. I can try that if need be. But I did probe the brown wire in the harness going to the stator...red on brown wire with pin stuck through it and black on the battery ground. No voltage at all. Should I check that with the bilage button down?
    Thanks so much for helping me!!!
    Rob

FYI..I'm doing this while leaving the connector plugged in that runs between the box and the stator. Is that correct?

+1
    Ok I did do that except for the holding down the bilge button. I didn't see that anywhere. I can try that if need be. But I did probe the brown wire in the harness going to the stator...red on brown wire with pin stuck through it and black on the battery ground. No voltage at all. Should I check that with the bilge button down?
    Thanks so much for helping me!!!
    Rob
    There will be no voltage on the disconnected Brown wire to the stator, only on the Brown wire coming from the CDI. Any only when the CDI is awake, such as engine cranking or running.

10.7ish volts at the battery while cranking is really marginal. The actual proper voltage check is right at the CDI power feed, at the Red/Purple and Black wires that feed into the CDI. If that is not well over 10.6 (with Bilge button held down) the battery is weak.
    Last edited by K447; 10-08-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information