Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Thumbs up Is a XLT a good Ski?

I've got a waveraider 1100 now. I put about 20hrs on it this season & it runs amazing.
    Doesnt turn the best, has zero storage, it's a bit thirsty, isnt all that stable & is good for 1 rider.

I'm looking at a mint looking 03 XLT, only 25hrs.
    The steering cables are tight, the trim is frozen. Inside & out it's super clean, reverse works, 100% stock. compression is 120psi across the board. (i'll take a better look at the cables & lube or replace if needed)

My research shows me that these hit about 60mph in stock form. The 1200 is really reliable & the hull handles very well, even in the chop.
    It has reverse, but I really want it so I can bring my wife along.
    ...I've ridden an XL limited(basically the same thing w/ a different hood).

The 03' is supposed to have the later designed PowerValves which dont have the pin issue(I'd likely put in waveeater's after 50+hrs anyhow).

My raider is premix. Not a huge pain, but w/ no storage on there & filling up on the water it can slow things down.
    -Whats the recommended hour limit for switching over to premix? 75hrs, 100hrs? FWIU, the pumps dont really fail, it more the hoses have issues.

everyone is telling me 'go 4 stroke'. I like the simplicity of the 2 stroke, the low end grunt, etc. An Fx HO is nice but it's also 2x the price.
    Are they that much better?

Anything I should be aware of when purchasing/owning an XLT 1200?

thanks in advance!

Stock form an xlt will NOT hit 60 on a gps.
    They too need the power valve clips and couplers
    stiff cables may be able to lube them or they need to be changed.
    Why is there only 25 hrs on the engine? Changed? If so who did, what parts are inside the engine? Does the display match the condition of the ski, cause if it looks brand new or newer than the ski itself its been changed and who know how many hrs are on it.
    Pre mix, get a oil line kit from My buddy in Baldwin;0).
    needs a intake great and pump plug kit, at least a grate from the get go.
    how much?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderMagic View Post
    I've got a waveraider 1100 now. I put about 20hrs on it this season & it runs amazing.
    Doesnt turn the best, has zero storage, it's a bit thirsty, isnt all that stable & is good for 1 rider.

I'm looking at a mint looking 03 XLT, only 25hrs.
    The steering cables are tight, the trim is frozen. Inside & out it's super clean, reverse works, 100% stock. compression is 120psi across the board. (i'll take a better look at the cables & lube or replace if needed)

My research shows me that these hit about 60mph in stock form. The 1200 is really reliable & the hull handles very well, even in the chop.
    It has reverse, but I really want it so I can bring my wife along.
    ...I've ridden an XL limited(basically the same thing w/ a different hood).

The 03' is supposed to have the later designed PowerValves which dont have the pin issue(I'd likely put in waveeater's after 50+hrs anyhow).

My raider is premix. Not a huge pain, but w/ no storage on there & filling up on the water it can slow things down.
    -Whats the recommended hour limit for switching over to premix? 75hrs, 100hrs? FWIU, the pumps dont really fail, it more the hoses have issues.

everyone is telling me 'go 4 stroke'. I like the simplicity of the 2 stroke, the low end grunt, etc. An Fx HO is nice but it's also 2x the price.
    Are they that much better?

Anything I should be aware of when purchasing/owning an XLT 1200?

thanks in advance!
    XLT is a good ski, things to look out for oil lines pop out so you might want to go premix or change the lines so they are longer so they do not pull out. You want an after market intake grate so you do not get thrown off and get rid of the V style factory plate and go with a R&D ride plate.

Since you are not dead after riding a Raider for 20 hours, you could probably use a break. (I am guessing you have an aftermarket intake grate, right?)

As mentioned by others, the oil lines and couplers are a must. I think the 03 has a cat so replacing that with a D plate is one of the first things to spend money on. Read up on Oside Bills fuel pressure balancing mod as the carbs in your ski are 10 years old and could lose a pump at any time. There is probably thousands of pages on mods for the 1200 on this site so start reading. The biggest issue with this engine is that it was set up and jetted very lean from the factory and people lose pistons and cylinders all the time due to carb issues. It is easily corrected but you need to do the mods immediately.

The FX's are quieter, burn less gas, ride dryer but as you mentioned aren't as snappy in the low end (but can be made to be better with mods). If you are getting into this ski for 2k or less, you cannot pass up the value if you work on your own skis. If you have to pay someone to do the work, then you will eventually pay as much or more for this one vs buying a four stroke.

I rode a number of Xl's before I went with the four stroke but at the time had some money. No doubt you will spend roughly half vs the four stroke for the ski but you should spend another 5-800 to get it right. All the information you will ever need is on this site about what to do for the ski. Good luck and good reading.

+1
    i love the XLT..... Jim i dont think its possible to get thrown off that ski with that intake grate if its stock form, God knows ive tried... its an awesome ski great for hauling family. as posted above either get rid of the oil pump, or get new lines... i delete the pump on the 66V / E all the time.

+1
    The XLT is a great ski, and handles much better than the XL limited due to some small changes in sponsons and ride plate. A R&D plate helps a lot though. 12/18 concord prop and a scoop grate are good additions.
    NOTE: a 10 year old boat DEFINATLY needs the carbs rebuilt due to corrosion and gunk from the gas sitting in there. If you don't, you can clog an internal filter or jet and guess what: seized piston. While you have the carbs off, consider O'Side Bills carb mods, and use metal clamps on oil lines. (premix way too much smoke and extra oil use) These changes have worked well for my fleet. 300 hour 1390 GPR and a 200+ hour stock short block XLT

+1
    thanks guys.
    It's my 1st season & the Raider has been a learning experience for sure. I know I'm in for the long haul now & I want to drag my wife along so a 3 seater it is. I do my own wrenching on cars & some on the raider so far...so the ski doesnt seem that bad.
    I know I will definitely do the PV clips, just didnt know 'how soon' was a must.
    I've read about the main issues & know about the oil lines (I've researched a lot already, kinda why I like the XLT 's)
    I was thinking I would do the pre-mix down the line. With only 25hrs the pump is fairly new.
    The steering cables are a bit stiff. I will try to lube them 1st & see whats up.
    Same for the trim, but likely its 1 of the 3 cables that needs to be replaced. I'm thinking the top one.
    I hear the cats are good for about 100hrs. I was thinking of leaving it in for another season or so. Spread out the costs etc. I know removing it also reduces heat as well.

None of my cars are stock, so I doubt my ski will stay that way for long.

Skittb, I am interested in your XLT but dont really want to wait until spring(I know the season is almost over.....How's that reno going?)
    ... I came across this XLT at a end of season savings. Plus I can do anything I need to over the off-season & be ready when the springtime hits.

I looked into the FXHO but cant seem to find much under $7K. I dont want to buy a 150hr ski either. Maintenance comes in cycles.. @ 150hrs a lot is coming due.

This is local, I made an offer but havent got a reply http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/4080305374.html

This XLT is a true 25hrs. (his other ski has like 35hrs or something), It looks like a time capsule. The guy has 2 skis & are used seldomly by himself/2 kids. (he travels + kids off to college/no time).
    It sits covered on a trailer. I negotiated down to $3100.
    I ran it, did a compression/plug check & 45min poke around. It's 100% stock & in mint condition. no scratches, etc. I've seen so many skis that are just whipped, like people ramping off rock jetties or something, torn seats, busted gauges, etc.
    Wasted a lot of time seeing junk, even from sellers on the forums. I guess people think you suddenly go blind when you arrive. "yeah, ill take that POS you advertised as excellent"
    Last edited by RaiderMagic; 10-03-2013 at 09:57 PM.

+1
    150hrs is nothing for a 4 stroke. I would rather a newer 4 stroke with 200+ hours then a 25 hour 2 stroke.

+1
    why is that? the 4 strokes cost more to buy, more to repair. the 2 stroke is simple to work on, has fewer/cheaper parts & if properly maintained & not abused will last a long time. These Yamaha 1100 & 1200 engines can easily go 300hrs as many people have attested to.
    my 17 yr old 2 stroke raider has 105hrs. it fires up every single time, runs like a champ all day as far as I know has never been rebuilt.
    Last edited by RaiderMagic; 10-03-2013 at 09:58 PM.

+1
    2 smokes are going to be a lot cheaper this next year..

When the 5k brand new spark hits the market 2 smoke prices are going to drastically fall..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information