1999 Genesis Ficht will not shut off

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I bought a 99 Genesis a couple weeks ago that has been sitting outside untouched for a few years. I was told the EMM was most likely fried so I got it for cheap money. When I got it home the EMM was just sitting there under the seat unplugged, the spark plugs were disconnected, the starter solenoid was clicking, and the jet pump was frozen. I replaced the pump bearings, replaced the solenoid, fixed the plugs, and reconnected the EMM. I put fresh gas in and to my surprise it fired right up and idles very well. I thought it was weird that it started without the lanyard in place, but figured maybe someone bypassed it. Then I hit the stop switch and nothing. I ended up having to pull the fuel pump harness out and let it run out of gas just to shut off. I'm at a loss here. I was trying to test the switches and it makes no sense to me. I was hoping someone could help me out. Here's what I found when testing wires...the bilge pump keeps running even when the ski is off so I though the module might be bad, however I disconnected the harnesses running to the LR module and the bilge pump keeps running. I also checked the start/stop switch and lanyard switch. From what I have read on this forum (if I read correctly) pin #8 black/yellow on the EMM shuts the ski off when it receives a ground pulse. I tested pin #8 on the EMM and it is grounded at all times except when the engine is cranking. Even when the ski is running pin #8 shows ground. I'm thinking something in the electrical box is messed up, but I'm not sure fixing it will make any difference. IF I read everything correctly ground on pin #8 should shut it right down so in my case the ski shouldn't even start because it always has ground. I'm perfectly content with running a toggle switch or whatever. Is there any circuit I can interrupt with a toggle switch to shut it down? Not sure if it makes any difference, but the ski is a 99 and the EMM has a date of 05/2002 printed on it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If I get some time on Friday I will have a think while looking at the wiring diagram

Certainly sounds like something is not wired right.

Follow the bilge pump wiring. Should be able to figure out why it is running all the time.

Thanks I appreciate any help I can get here. I'm usually very good with wiring but this one has me confused. It looks like the bilge pump wires to the electrical box. I haven't opened that up yet so I don't know what's inside there but I'm going to open it up later and see what's going on inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If I get some time on Friday I will have a think while looking at the wiring diagram

Certainly sounds like something is not wired right.

Follow the bilge pump wiring. Should be able to figure out why it is running all the time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by j4bs4209333 View Post
    ... I thought it was weird that it started without the lanyard in place... Then I hit the stop switch and nothing. I ended up having to pull the fuel pump harness out and let it run out of gas just to shut off.

... I was trying to test the switches and it makes no sense to me.

...the bilge pump keeps running even when the ski is off so I thought the module might be bad, however I disconnected the harnesses running to the LR module and the bilge pump keeps running.

I also checked the start/stop switch and lanyard switch.

... I'm thinking something in the electrical box is messed up, but I'm not sure fixing it will make any difference.

.. the ski is a 99 and the EMM has a date of 05/2002 printed on it. ...
    ... the electrical box. I haven't opened that up yet ...
    ... Certainly sounds like something is not wired right.

How are you doing electrical diagnostics without opening the electrical box?

The 1999 Genesis FFI (Ficht) was the very first model and year for the Ficht Direct Fuel injection system on Polaris.

The LR-503 Stop/Start module also controls Accessory power for the Bilge pump and PERC electric reverse. The Bilge button on the handlebar overrides the LR-503 Orange wire output and forces accessory power onto the Orange wire when the engine is not running.

You can bypass the LR-503 module for testing purposes.

Even with a bad LR module the lanyard kill switch should still work. That means you need to verify the switch is working properly and the wiring is correct.

Note that the original 1999 Genesis FFI wiring harnesses were prone to electrical wire harness issues, primarily in the wire splices and the ground wires. In some cases the original wire harness may need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Ok so I opened the electrical box and all the connections in there look correct. There is a small black box inside there that has the black/yellow coming out of it, is that the lr-503? I didn't realize there was a separate box, I thought the start/stop switch was the lr module. I'm assuming that's most likely my problem. I even pulled apart the tether switch and tested both wires inside for ground when they were out of the harness and there was ground on both sides, which I know is not correct.
    So here is where I'm confused. If that module, when working correctly, grounds pin #8 in order to shut the engine down why is my ski even running with constant ground on pin #8? Will replacing the module even make a difference if the emm ignores the ground signal? Is there any other wire that can be interrupted to shut it down? I'm going to try to bypass the module by running one side of the lanyard switch directly to a ground therefore the side running to the emm will not be grounded unless I pull the lanyard. I think that will tell me whether or not replacing the switch will even help or if the emm will still ignore the ground pulse.

... I thought it was weird that it started without the lanyard in place... Then I hit the stop switch and nothing. I ended up having to pull the fuel pump harness out and let it run out of gas just to shut off.

... I was trying to test the switches and it makes no sense to me.

...the bilge pump keeps running even when the ski is off so I thought the module might be bad, however I disconnected the harnesses running to the LR module and the bilge pump keeps running.

I also checked the start/stop switch and lanyard switch.

... I'm thinking something in the electrical box is messed up, but I'm not sure fixing it will make any difference.

.. the ski is a 99 and the EMM has a date of 05/2002 printed on it. ...
    ... Certainly sounds like something is not wired right.

The 1999 Genesis FFI (Ficht) was the very first model and year for the Ficht Direct Fuel injection system on Polaris.

The LR-503 Stop/Start module also controls Accessory power for the Bilge pump and PERC electric reverse. The Bilge button on the handlebar overrides the LR-503 Orange wire output and forces accessory power onto the Orange wire when the engine is not running.

Even with a bad LR module the lanyard kill switch should still work. That means you need to verify the switch is working properly and the wiring is correct.

Note that the original 1999 Genesis FFI wiring harnesses were prone to electrical wire harness issues, primarily in the wire splices and the ground wires. In some cases the original wire harness may need to be replaced or rebuilt.

+1
    One side of the kill switch should be grounded already, that is the factory wiring configuration.

Bypassing the LR module does not interfere with the stock lanyard kill switch wiring, you are simply disconnecting the LR-503 module's connections which is in parallel with the Black/Yellow signal wire to the EMM. The lanyard is the core engine kill method. The Stop/Start button signal through the LR-503 is merely an additional engine stop method.

The LR-503 has the part number embossed right on the module, just remove it and look for the part numbers.

You can unplug the large 40-pin connector from the EMM and verify the connection of pin 8 in the wire harness. There is a 5/32 (or 4mm) head hex screw holding the connector in place. Undo that and the connector slides right out.

Note: Do NOT insert a test probe or wire that is any larger in diameter than the actual EMM pins. You do not want to enlarge or damage the connector pin sockets.

Get the lanyard signal working with the LR-503 unplugged and bypassed.

Also find the cause of the constant Bilge pump running.

Both of these are basic wiring investigations once the LR module is bypassed.

Ok so I opened the electrical box and all the connections in there look correct. There is a small black box inside there that has the black/yellow coming out of it, is that the lr-503?

I didn't realize there was a separate box, I thought the start/stop switch was the lr module. I'm assuming that's most likely my problem. I even pulled apart the tether switch and tested both wires inside for ground when they were out of the harness and there was ground on both sides, which I know is not correct.

So here is where I'm confused. If that module, when working correctly, grounds pin #8 in order to shut the engine down why is my ski even running with constant ground on pin #8? Will replacing the module even make a difference if the emm ignores the ground signal?

... I'm going to try to bypass the module by running one side of the lanyard switch directly to a ground therefore the side running to the emm will not be grounded unless I pull the lanyard. I think that will tell me whether or not replacing the switch will even help or if the emm will still ignore the ground pulse.

Thread Information