Jacksonville, Florida

Thumbs up Electronic Fishing charts review

I have a Lowrance HDS-7 Insight with the LSS option and thought that I would get some better detailed charts than what came preinstalled on the unit.

I bought the 2013 Fishing Hot Spots PRO chart for $115
    Here is what their web site states:
    Fishing Hot SpotsŪ Pro SW delivers more fishing information and digital chart data than any other single chip. Nationwide coverage including all major US coastlines with detailed shorelines and depth contours. Premier fishing waters are complete with all of Fishing Hot SpotsŪ own, extensively researched, fishing points of interest, area profiles and area specific fishing tips & techniques.

I have only looked at the salt water offshore but I have not found any area profiles and area specific fishing tips & techniques on the charts anywhere. I was also disappointed that I could not find any of the offshore towers in the Gulf or in the Atlantic. Furthermore the local reefs that are commonly known are not labeled in any way, it just has a symbol for artificial reef or wreck with no description whatever. Fishing spots such as the humps in the keys are not even on the chart. I am very disappointed with the value of this chart and would not recommend it to anyone. The statement on their web site: Fishing Hot SpotsŪ Pro SW delivers more fishing information and digital chart data than any other single chip is a joke. What a waste of money. I do have this chart up for sale if anyone wants it.

I bought the Navionics Platinum+ charts #632 and #642 for $199 each.
    Here is what their site states:Platinum+ offers all Gold features plus: 3D and Satellite Overlay, Panoramic Port Pictures, dynamic Tides & Currents and much more! See more here:
    Now they have a nice and simple way to update the charts as many times as you would like for a year after purchase date which is a nice feature. After that then you get a 50% discount foo buying a updated chart. See more at :
    I think the charts are ok in my view but not an update over what came loaded on the HDS-7 and not worth the money. I would not recommend them for this HDS-7
    I do have this charts up for sale if anyone wants it.

I also bought the Nautic 2013 East Insight HD for $149
    Here is what their site states:
    The new Insight HD and PRO chartcards are fully loaded with detailed guidance from Fishing Hot SpotsŪ. Enjoy expert fishing tips and techniques, fishery profiles, and marked fishing locations and much more to save you time and fuel in finding and fishing productive waters. - See more at:
    This chart dose have better bottom shading detail but dose not show all the fishing spots from Hot Spots as stated and dose not have as many fishing spots or reefs as the preloaded chart on the unit. I have not found any fishing tips or techniques on the chart. Over all I do like this chart shading details over the preloaded chart but I would not spend the money again.

In review the pre loaded chart is excellent compared to other charts available for the unit for the price. I wish that I could have the money I spent on these charts to use toward fuel to find my own fishing spots, I believe that would be money better spent.
    This is just my view others with the HDS might believe differently.

St. Amant, LA
    H-man, welcome to the 'hulk. Wow - that is a lot of fuel money spent on charts that you did not find as much value in... Anyway, you may get more feedback by having a mod move this post to the 'hulk's "PWC Fishing" section -

Thread Information