+1

Do I need a new wear ring on my '98 GTX-RFI?

I had this WSM metal wear ring installed 6 yr/125 hr ago and the impeller/ring clearance is close to the limit of .040 in. I also notice that the sealing lip is starting to disintegrate and there is a small amount of cavitation burn in the middle of the impeller blades. The chips in the stator veins have been there a long time so I don't think they are affecting the performance. Since the boat has 350 hours and I plan on keeping it indefinitely I'm thinking of getting an entire new pump assembly. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2096.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	315454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2097.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	315455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2098.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	315456

+1
    Your OD on the impeller will be worn as well. Replace both, ( or have your impeller rebuilt).

+1
    That pump is junk, try to find a good used one. .040 is A LOT of clearance, that's 1mm! Either it's always been like that since the metal ring was installed, OR you have loose pump bearings which allow the impeller to contact the ring and wear both out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    That pump is junk, try to find a good used one. .040 is A LOT of clearance, that's 1mm! Either it's always been like that since the metal ring was installed, OR you have loose pump bearings which allow the impeller to contact the ring and wear both out.
    I agree with your assessment. I checked the radial play of the impeller shaft and it is at about .003 inch. The service limit is .002 according to the service manual. I decided to replace the SST wear ring with a stock one and bought a reconditioned impeller from Impros. I may find that I'm putting good money after bad but it's still cheaper to try this than to buy a used pump in unknown condition. My plan is to monitor the wear on the wear ring and if it's abnormal I will replace the bearings. BTW, I wouldn't use this strategy on my "performance" boats but this boat only gets used about 20 hours a year so I have a hard time justifying spending a lot of money on it.

+1
    I wouldn't put that money into that pump. Those stator vanes are in bad shape. There are parts guys here and over at PWC Today that can sell you a nice tight used pump. I've bought several this season for customer skis.

Yeah start with a fresh pump, as everyone has stated those Stator vanes are damaged and to much clearance as well!

Thread Information