+1

Secureness of SCOM Pin to ECU Connector

Took my ski out earlier today, and saw 8,000 RPM for the first time - as water temperature was a bit cooler.

Ski was running great, hitting some "rollers" pretty hard - and heard the "Buzzer" go off. Checked and I see F1 Warning Code and read SPSE.

Thinking the SCOM Module pin again?

It has happened before - Reference:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=187970

So I head to shore and all kinds of rollers are breaking and my shit's getting tossed all over the place. Determine I can't play with it there - so back inside to the Intracoastal Waterway - and I disconnect the battery and go after the ECU Connector. Remove the Blue SCOM wire and place the stock Brown/White stripe wire back in place button everything up - disconnect SCOM from diagnostic plug, connect battery - and head out for a ride - where the code clears after ~ 1 minute.

Rode for the remainder of the day w/o SCOM and had great fun !!!

What is with the pin on the R&D SCOM? Sometimes it's "happy" and sometimes it does this?

Anyone have a solution - I think I remember Mark used epoxy on his?

All I kept thinking on the way back to get out of the Gulf of Mexico - to a calmer area - before I silenced the audible alarm - was "Buzzer Boy" (Mal's nick name for Corey's unfortunate oil temperature induced event)

+1
    Ed I run a small dab of silicone on that blue wire and hold it to the connector..this way it doesn't move stays stable and won't back out...the stock brown/white wrap with electric tape..67 hrs no problems..
    Last edited by jetdave56; 10-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Banned User
    +1
    I never had one issue with mine issues normally come from it not being fully seated in the first place.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    increase the pin tension

+1
    the silicone not touching anything metallic..the blue wire to outside black connector

Maybe should have explained better...

Banned User
    +1
    Ed - I had it come loose a couple times in chop, got tired of messing with it and used a dab of silver epoxy - never had an issue since. Great day for a ride, I got out there myself and agree the cooler temps make a big difference in how the ski runs

+1
    Since this has happened before - I made 100% certain the pin was "seated" correctly when I got my stuff back on dry land - namely in my garage - where I could assess the issue, and it's been fine for almost 1 entire year.

Yes - I was confident the pin was seated 100% or else the locking tabs would never have "locked".

I made certain there was tension on the pin, and even tye wrapped the stuff real nicely - trying to maintain tension on the pin where it seats in the connector, all with the hopes that this would not happen.

I am thinking the pin on the SCOM is not a true replica of the OEM connector pin - and that the best way to do this would be to either get another OEM pin or cut the brown/white wire and solder in the SCOM wire using the OEM pin... I'll certainly sleep on that one before I get the soldering iron out.

Thanks !!!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    I always cut it on every ski I have fitted SCOMs to, just ensure you use marine grade heat shrink over it, not the normal crap 99% of reseller offer u.
    Waz

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    I always cut it on every ski I have fitted SCOMs to, just ensure you use marine grade heat shrink over it, not the normal crap 99% of reseller offer u.
    Waz
    Dual wall with adhesive lining.

Sean

Thread Information