Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winterizing Ski!

Hello, I have 2009 Yamaha FXSHO Ski!

Whats the proper way to winterizing my ski?

Change oil? Fog? Battery? Gas?

Thanks,

+1
    Add fuel stabilizer, change oil, oil filter, plugs, fog engine, and remove battery. It's also a good idea to spray down the engine with a product like Fluid Film and to make sure there isn't any water sitting in your hull.

+1
    I also place a 2x4 between my seat and hull so the engine compartment can breath/vent and not get condensation forming in there over storage time. Also be sure all water is out of the inside of your hull befor you store it. Tommy Jordan

4. +1 by:

+1
    As above plus,plus i fog motor till it dies then remove plugs and fog few seconds down bores do NOT restart just put plugs back in and leave, i also leave a E bay special cheap dehumidifier crystal type in bottom of hull after towel dry and GT85 on engine,i also remove water box from ski and dry and dump plenty of WD-40 in it as i replace to ensure no moisture travels back to valves and cause corrosion.
    Seats are never in same garage as ski as this is a Uk insurance requirement
    Hope this helps

I'm new to this stuff. I've been trying to winterize my boat for a few days now. I'm pretty happy with the basic stuff like fogging the engine, applying lube to metallic parts etc. The part I'm struggling with is the water damage risk. All I have done so far is tilt the trailer and run the engine for 20sec to spit up all the water. Lots came out. I then connected a 5' water hose to the back connector and ran the engine while my buddy funnelled some plumbers antifreeze down the garden hose. We Ran the engine for 20-30seconds and the shut it off (rev'd it a little too). I saw antifreeze spill out the intake grill beneath the hull, and some came out of the jet pipe. Am I done? Did the antifreeze go where it needed to go? Is the water safely removed? It's important to note that I will storing the engine in a indoor garage. Not heated but likely not too cold either.
    Please help me sleep easy at night this winter as I am by no means an engine guy.

+1
    Only 1 guy mentioned running antifreeze. Does that mean you guys that didn't mention it don't do it?

+1
    Reading all the post about winterizing a ski is very depressing to me,summer time and riding time is just about over, so sad. Tommy Jordan

Yamaha doen't mention the use of antifreeze for winterization in either the owners manual or the shop manual.

Very few folks use it. I don't and my skis sit in an unheated building and it gets close to or below zero several times during the winter-- never had a problem---key is making sure to run the engine a few seconds to blow any water out.

I do put some moth balls in a tin can under the skis to help keep the mice from builiding a nest in the ski over the winter

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by h2jim View Post
    Only 1 guy mentioned running antifreeze. Does that mean you guys that didn't mention it don't do it?
    Im in the UK and Ski garage kept besides it don't go much below zero here though winter, also i empty water box, frozen water/ice IMO can only damage when expansion is restricted, cant see how a small area of ice would hurt if you left system full as its open ended and allowed to expand as the water freezes!

+1
    Unless you have a separate cooling line with strainer and or a different intercooler, the boats are designed to self drain by starting the boat out of the water and blipping the throttle a couple of times. I have seen an exhaust jacket on an XLT that was broken by freezing, but that was on a boat that seized a cylinder and thus could not purge the engine/exhaust by running dry afterwards. I haven't used antifreeze in any of the many skis I have had over the last 23 years, and it gets to below 0 degrees F in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by h2jim View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information