Thread: Steering issue

+1

Steering issue

Hey guys,

I have a pretty interesting steering problem going on. I'll start with the basics. I adjust the steering perfectly, straight on handle bars = straight pointed nozzle on rear.

Next, I go out and ride. Anywhere 35 or less mph steering seems to be functioning normally. Above that, here's what happens. I'll crank the wheel to the left all the way to the stopper on the bars, and all of a sudden my alignment is toast. This is what straight on the handlebars now corresponds to on the nozzle:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30adkx0.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	315610

Straightening the nozzle by hand now corresponds to this on the handlebars:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fdqzvc.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	315611

Basically now, since the alignment is so out of whack, I have very limited left turn ability.

Next part of the story... If I start riding again, above that 35mph, and crank the wheel to the right (opposite of before) and (hitting the stopper on the bars) the alignment will re-adjust itself to perfectly straight on the handle bars corresponds to perfectly straight on the nozzle.

What the heck could be going on here? Is something slipping or?

Thanks a bunch!

+1
    had a problem like on a RX once. the nut that held the cable to the pump shoe (by the flush fitting) broke. that and check to make sure the sheath on the cable is still attached at the thruhull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    had a problem like on a RX once. the nut that held the cable to the pump shoe (by the flush fitting) broke. that and check to make sure the sheath on the cable is still attached at the thruhull.
    Both these items check out in good condition. It may be time for the dealership... is it possible that where the adjustment is up front (the knob you can turn) is slipping where the u bolt goes through the 2 plastic clamps?

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    At either end of the cable, bow and stern, there is an outer metal sheath that is crimped to retain it on the other part of the outer cable. When this crimp fails the other sheath moves a few mm and can cause the fault you have. Replace the cable and whilst at it I would replace the plastic the plastic nuts at the rear with metal ones, the are much better.

+1
    There's another adjustment under the glovebox, at the other end of the cable where it connects to the steering arm.

Thread Information