Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

GTX 4 Tec Problem - Help Me Pls :(

So i bought my first PWC a month ago, 02 GTX 4Tec Limited with 115 hours on it. Have put 10 hrs on it since with no issues at all. Last night fired it up and hooked it up to the house and everything was running as usual. Went to the lake today, started up and idled til it was warm and got out of the No Wake Zone. Drove around for about 10 minutes and headed into another no wake zone, let off the throttle and the ski died. Cranked it up again, idled fine...got through no wake and gave it some gas again and then let off and it died again. It seems the ski is running fine as long as i am giving it throttle...but once i let off it simply shuts off and dies. No codes, no warning beeps, just stalls out. Got it home tonight and hooked it up to the hose again and i had no issues...seems the problem is only when it's in the water

Can anyone give me some hints where to start trying to fix this problem? Never worked on ski's but im handy around cars for the most part. I changed the plugs tonight out of boredom...old ones didnt look too old and they showed no signs of trouble, dont know if that will help anything or not :/. Also oil was changed before i bought the ski, about 20 hours ago. Thank you guys

***UPDATE 10-21*** New Throttle Bypass Valve seems to have fixed the problem...went out for 2 hours and had no issues!
    Last edited by TacomaGuy24; 10-21-2013 at 09:53 AM.

+1
    Have you ever run fuel Injector cleaner thru it??
    You might have sucked some trash out of the tank..

+1
    Yes, put seafoam In a couple tanks ago

+1
    I don't think seafoam is an Injector cleaner. I don't know I don't use it.

+1
    Seafoam is an injector cleaner. Should i put a different one in the tank and run it? Is there a fuel filter that could be clogged?

+1
    Check your idle motor, should feel it click when you put key on dess post.

They had a really weak design on the first 2002 idle control valves. As Brendanm says, check for the sound of it activating, and resetting after you put on and remove the key.

+1
    It was idling fine when I fired it up at the lake and floated around...just died when I gave gas and let off when the rpms fell back to idle...I do recall hearing the click and it ran fine on the hose when I got home from the lake

+1
    Ok after googling tons of threads, i have found that it is probably the idle control valve, since it gets the ski to idle when there is no throttle...maybe it isn't working when i am on the water at speed and then letting off the throttle...anyone around me in NC that we could swap out a valve to check before i buy one?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaGuy24 View Post
    Ok after googling tons of threads, i have found that it is probably the idle control valve, since it gets the ski to idle when there is no throttle...maybe it isn't working when i am on the water at speed and then letting off the throttle...anyone around me in NC that we could swap out a valve to check before i buy one?
    Can anyone confirm that if i replace the bypass valve, i have to have BUDS to reset the computer, right? And I can't even remove the old valve to look at it without using BUDS to do a reset after re-installing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information