Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone converted a pontoon boat trailer to carry multiple pwcs? If so, Pics/details?

First off, YES, I know that there is a weight capacity issue here. I am NOT looking for something to carry four seadoo RXT-Xs. I am considering converting something that can carry several stand ups and wave blasters and/or similar sized skis. Stand ups and blasters are in the 300-350 lb range ea.

Ive thought about this for a few years but never really looked into it. Wondering if anyone has had the same/similar idea and converted a boat trailer or pontoon boat trailer.

The pontoon boat trailer is the right length. Many have a single axle so there is a weight limit but I am confident that four smaller two stroke skis will not exceed it. .. or not exceed it enough to make it dangerous.

Post up if you have any ideas/experience/insights.

+1
    I thought about the same to carry 4 Wetbikes but the problem I see is the bunks are on the fair outer edge. They'd have to be moved inboard and at that point you might as well modify a more similar trailer IMO.

+1
    IMO this would be a pretty easy task. You would probably only need to move the 2 center bunks inward. Depending on the brand / style of trailer this can be very easy. As far as weight I bet you could easily get one to hold 4 big skis if you are willing to invest some money and time... I think most of the trailers are probably running 3500 axle setups so 2500 lbs should be pretty easy to accommodate if that's all you need.

I have been looking for one and they are almost impossible to find around me

It is easy to do. I bought a 2005 Continental tritoon trailer for a 24 foot boat. I modified the bunk brackets and moved the outside bunks in a little. I carried 5 skis, a Blaster 1, Kawi 750sxi, and Kawi X2 across the front. A GP1300R and Seadoo GTS 3 seater side by side on the back. Pulled it to Virginia and back and all around Florida wit no problems. Used ratchet straps to tie everything down.

Banned User
    +1
    I would be worried about the narrow track and the high center of gravity that would occur with placing skis on a pontoon trailer. Those skis would be sitting up awfully high an a very narrow trailer. Launching may be difficult as well at a shallow ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid121 View Post
    It is easy to do. I bought a 2005 Continental tritoon trailer for a 24 foot boat. I modified the bunk brackets and moved the outside bunks in a little. I carried 5 skis, a Blaster 1, Kawi 750sxi, and Kawi X2 across the front. A GP1300R and Seadoo GTS 3 seater side by side on the back. Pulled it to Virginia and back and all around Florida wit no problems. Used ratchet straps to tie everything down.

Do you have pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Donkey View Post
    I thought about the same to carry 4 Wetbikes but the problem I see is the bunks are on the fair outer edge. They'd have to be moved inboard and at that point you might as well modify a more similar trailer IMO.

You can put bunks wherever you want. Just screw then down directly to the body of the trailer and make them stationary.. or you can buy bunk brackets for $6.50 each at easternmarine. Re-locating or re-configuring the bunks isnt really an issue.

Its more about the balancing the the trailer, the width, the ability to strap skis down/winch them down/secure them/whatver, etc, etc.

+1
    There are many pontoon trailer conversions here in Florida.
    I just saw 1 on the local Craigslist brand new for around 2k.

What would one expect to pay for a used pontoon boat trailer in good shape? Ive never priced them.

+1
    In Florida there less expensive than other states Dooo to the fact that there everywhere.
    I've seen used pontoon trailers for $800
    New around 14-1500

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information