+1

Burnt clutch washers

change 1/2 my oil every 1/2 season(5-10hrs). X-SC has about 20hrs on it and I just put McMasters in and noticed after having a bitch of a time setting slip my washers are burnt.

What's causes this?

+1
    im not sure about anyone else, but I have a hard time setting slip with mcmasters. I did hear somewhere on the forum that the thickness of the spring washers have gotten thinner?

+1
    I can't comment on that but I had to use 4 McMasters, 1 shim and 1 stocker at NUT--()()(---Blade and settled at 152in/lbs. It was a complete PITA and the other SCs I've slipped were nothing like this with stock washers.

+1
    Burnt washers are usually from a lack of lubrication or poor slip setup...do you have the 08 oiler mod installed??Have you checked the oiler hole in the shaft to make sure it isnt covered???also what was your slip set to before and did you just set it to slip standards or did you pre load it with the new clutches???

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 91 View Post
    im not sure about anyone else, but I have a hard time setting slip with mcmasters. I did hear somewhere on the forum that the thickness of the spring washers have gotten thinner?
    I havent delt with the new Mc Masters BUT i heard the same thing....Thick or thin you should still be able to obtain slip with all the little tricks out there....Especially on an X charger...

+1
    I have a stock 05 cover and oiling. I bought the SC almost 2 years ago and just threw it in. Back then I wasn't thinking to check but when I did at around 20 hrs it was at 90in/lbs. Very Fing low. I just set the slip and went on my merry way couple months back. Forgot about it until today when I thought about the 137XLE/CR wheel.

Bought ski 2 years ago with 30hrs on it and the guy never changed the oil. I changed it twice in the first 10 hrs of use then cleaned the entire top end and cover when I did the head work and cam. There's a chance it was clogged.

+1
    Ya they were probably burnt to begin with and you just now noticed it when you took it apart....I do recommend putting in the 08 oiler,especially with the bigger boost wheels....Its a pain in the ass but beats eating up washers all the time...

Hows the thrust washer on the shaft??is it scored or burnt also???hows the gear???is it chewed up or scored too???

+1
    gear was fine. Popped the cover to check the blade, no touchdown. Bearings feel good. It was just those clutch washers. When I pull the cover off and rebuild the engine I'll do the mod. I might just up pitch and try to keep the RPMs down some until I get better SC oiling.

I have the Riva nozzle but anything lower than the 83mm on my RXT just seems to be useless ass. This was a useless mod for the RXT in my opinion

+1
    Are you using regular oil or oil for wet clutches?

+1
    Not my oil I run Castrol racing RS that meets every standard for everything.

Since the previous owner never changed the oil and I ran the charger about 15hrs before I ripped the engine apart and actually cleaned it, it's probably as Sno said and there was problematic shaft oiling which burnt it up. I just noticed when I had the charger apart.

Thread Information