+1

R12x question. Will not run past 1800 rpm.

I bought a pair of skis last week and have fixed the 2004 R12 but the 2005 R12x is on the list for this week. I was going to part it but I think it can be fixed. Here's the story:
    Has been at a dealer for 1.5 years and I think they have been throwing parts at it with no success. Honda told them they should replace all sensors and harness. ECU tested good. It's been in saltwater at some point in it's life. On the trailer it did fine when I started and revved the engine. I put it in the water and it idled fine. After a few minutes warming, I hit the gas and it planed out, I heard the turbo kick in and then it just died. I was able to get home at idle but anything above 1800 rpm and it just quits. The dealership thinks it was a fuel pump issue but the guy I bought it from was tired of buying parts. I had it back on the trailer with the backend in the water and it it still wouldn't go past 1800rpm. I decided to up the idle and when adjusted it kept running at 1900.....and when I hit the gas it was revving up and you could hear the turbo WG. I'm going to work on it before the weekend and pull the codes but what do you guys think?

+1
    One more thing....I bought this R12x it to part but after learning what simple problem the other ski had I wondering if this might be a simple fix too. Also...let me say to all novices like myself....just because gas has only been in a ski for 60 days doesn't mean it's still good. Start with fresh gas when troubleshooting.

+1
    I just changed the MAP sensor and noticed the vacuum lines were reversed. Started and goes to 4000 RPM before the engine sputtered.....then noticed the limit was on. Took the limit off and it runs to 6000 RPM but still sputters. Headed to the water after I change gas and add fuel stabilizer. Could this problem be this simple?

+1
    It ran a little better but then went back to running like crap and only going 1800 RPM. I pulled the entire throttle body unit off my parts engine and changed all the MAP sensors. It's running perfect! I'll take it out on the lake tomorrow.

re problem

Quote Originally Posted by ccrunk1 View Post
    It ran a little better but then went back to running like crap and only going 1800 RPM. I pulled the entire throttle body unit off my parts engine and changed all the MAP sensors. It's running perfect! I'll take it out on the lake tomorrow.
    Check for water in wastegate side of the turbo had same problem and was exhaust manifold corroded same symptoms and you can change the manifold in situ ive done it

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    sounds like the pickup on the fuel pump is dirty

Thread Information