+1

2004 FX HO Engine Removal

I just purchased a 2004 fx cruise high output that I was told has a bad motor. Judging by the oil in the hull, I'm assuming it is a block issue. I have been unable to find any good threads on engine removal and no links for a free service manual. Anybody have a good write up/link or should I just go ahead and buy a manual?

Thank you for your input.

+1
    I followed this guide when pulling my engine http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/yfx.pdf

+1
    congrats man...you did it..

Go to pwctoday com there is a thread on the FX140 engine rebuild by Frenchy...great informative thread...it will become your bible.

+1
    Just a quick question. Do you see case chunks? Do you see a hole in the case? Does it turn over? Only reason I ask is I've seen the oil filter rust and leak out oil in to the hull and people assume the worst. Buddy bought a ski that was told needed engine work to find the oil filter culprit. Replaced it, filled with oil and got it going. Just a thought.

+1
    Actually that is a good question. The guy I bought it from ran a compression test and he said it has zero on the back cylinder. He has already taken the valve cover off and loosened the throttle bodies. I did see a thumb sized chuck of cast metal laying in a good amount of oil in the hull. I will do a more thorough inspection before I decide to remove it but I just wanted to know if there were any good links ahead of time. Thanks for everyone's input.

+1
    You can hope for the best, but sometimes you can do a quick diagnosis to see what you are getting into and possibly cut a better deal on the ski. Here are a few tips (and I'm sure others have some too).

This is for a ski that won't start. If it will, do a compression test of course.

1) With the plugs out and the PTO cover off, see if you can turn the motor over by hand. If you can't that's probably bad and assume the worst.

2) The dampener on the PTO will let you turn the pump a tiny bit even if the engine is seized. This is how you can tell if it's your pump that's seized.

3) If you CAN turn the motor over by hand, gently lower a screwdriver into each of the spark plug holes. Turn the motor over by hand and see if the screwdrivers go up/down. If so, that's good. If one of them does not go up/down, then you broke a connecting rod which is bad and assume the worst.

Keep in mind that even if you plan to do a motor swap with SBT, you must have a usable core or face a steep core charge. They have those posted somewhere on their web site. You can also find your own core, but again it will end up costing more money.

It's also not bad idea to check prices on used cases, cylinders, etc. before you go look at the ski. This way you'll be able to calculate a worst-case scenario and figure out what you want to pay ahead of time.

I bought a 2005 Kawasaki 12f last weekend for a good price. Turns out it broke a rod and took the case and cylinders with it. Both were totally trashed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1902.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	316041

Name:	IMG_1904.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	316044

This was another Kawi 12f I did a while back. Same #4 cylinder from water ingestion:

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	409.0 KB 
ID:	316045

Earlier in the summer my buddy was riding my 05 RXP when it stopped in the middle of the lake. I took out the plugs to start to diagnose and found that #3 was very hard to remove. It appears to have dropped a valve. Looking into #3 was just shredded metal.

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	316042

+1
    Ouch! I recently dropped a new engine in an 06 seadoo rxp that I bought with a hole in the block but that was pretty much a straight exchange. I'm actually kind of hoping that this FX needs a rebuild but has a good case because it seems like cases are very hard to come by.

Thread Information